not so recent films

Film & books

Moderators: Eviltoastman, Don Eduardo, Rick Cave, judasmuppet

Mr John
not very out-and-about-y
Missin' Jimmy level: 0

Re: not so recent films

Post by Mr John »

Sounds interesting, certainly ahead of its time (1977).
I'll check it oot, ta.
"Bof."
General Tso s Chicken
bigger softer russier!

Post by General Tso s Chicken »

watched mysterious island , and then later journey to the center of the earth (1959) . it can be tough , going back to these classics , especially for my kids . we usually start watching them too late , and the pacing is so slow . definitely worth it , but it takes 2 nights to finish one off . :sleep:

i mean is 45 minutes of character development really necessary ?
the finished product is just the garbage left over from doing the work.
Mr John
not very out-and-about-y

Post by Mr John »

For some reason I just watched "Haggard" on YouTube to kill time.
:|

Oh and I watched the 2nd Universal Soldier movie "...Returns" last night from the trilogy of UniSols blu-rays my other half got me. It was pretty bad. Still have "...Regeneration" to watch, which I dig.
"Bof."
Mobiesque
confusitron
Missin' Jimmy level: 666

Post by Mobiesque »

Oh, John. If you have time to kill* I'd love to hear some in depth thoughts on the movie Meat Pie (It's on youtube in it's entirity as 'Going Down Under')

It's inexcusably bad, but it's so bizarrely Australian it might give you some lulz.

*Waste and never get back.

And for God's sake, will SOMEONE please tell me they what they think of Don Hertzfeldt?! (opposite end of the worthwhile spectrum)
'the fuck did I do?
Rado
OMG WTF
Missin' Jimmy level: 90

Post by Rado »

The Boat That Rocked - I really liked it. Great soundtrack.
(lingus)";p="997234 wrote:there's enough there for me,
step aside boob glutton
crotchgrabber
that's sha na not my baby!!!
Missin' Jimmy level: 89000

Post by crotchgrabber »

watched spaceballs last night.
some of it anyway.
Mr John wrote:You love cock.
Dress Barn
cute as a crackbaby

Post by Dress Barn »

Epic film if you picture the alien as a indian chief
BABY SHAKER
bigger softer russier!

Post by BABY SHAKER »

fair enough.
can I picture dennis quaid as shirley temple and
pretend the movie title is "salad bar rape"?
Dress Barn
cute as a crackbaby

Post by Dress Barn »

I always wanted to see this for a "so bad it's good" late night viewing and I couldn't get past 10 minutes
BABY SHAKER
bigger softer russier!

Post by BABY SHAKER »

try it again and pretend robin williams is a puerto rican witchdoctor with OCD. :wink:
Mr John
not very out-and-about-y

Post by Mr John »

Mobiesque wrote:Oh, John. If you have time to kill* I'd love to hear some in depth thoughts on the movie Meat Pie (It's on youtube in it's entirity as 'Going Down Under')

It's inexcusably bad, but it's so bizarrely Australian it might give you some lulz.

*Waste and never get back.

And for God's sake, will SOMEONE please tell me they what they think of Don Hertzfeldt?! (opposite end of the worthwhile spectrum)
I keep hearing aboot Oz films, like "The Castle" and must compile a thorough list to go through.

Assist me.
8)
"Bof."
Mobiesque
confusitron

Post by Mobiesque »

The Castle is certainly a must watch piece of Australiana, and genuinely funny / heartwarming. As a testament to this, the movie is 15 years old and people still quote it's most memorable lines. Be careful to source an Australian copy of this dvd - apparently the international versions had redubbing on the voices to take out all the more obscure Aus references so yanks would understand what was going on.

Had to check a few lists to jog my memory on some of these. Australian Cinema is not one of my strong points (it's no one of the Aus film industry's strong points either - LOL!!!!). Started doin' this by separating them into essential and enjoyable but ended up just deleting the enjoyables 'cos quite frankly I've ended up with many more essentials than I thought I would. Check out trailers / reviews and see what you feel like.

Bad Eggs - I suppose you'd call it a cop comedy. Written by possibly my all time favourite comedian. And for someone who knows who the cast are, it's a powerhouse of great Aus comedians. It has not one but two commentary tracks which are absolutely hilarious. You can buy this for about $4 a lot of the time.

Malcolm - Much older comedy now but en extremely charming film. About a slightly simple guy who makes fanciful and insane inventions. Theres an element that want to use him and theres a love interest. They all conspire to rob a bank. Fantastic

The Magician - Fairy recent low budget mockumentary styled fare, though that said it is played completely straight. Guy making a documentary follows a hit man around melbourne. I reckon the acting and execution (AND ANOTHER PUN!) of this one are spot on.

The Boys - This one is very unnerving. Based on a true story. In the 80's (or maybe 90's?) Three brothers abducted a girl, tortured and raped her for a couple of days, wrapped her in barbed wire then killed her. This film is about what happens in the days leading to them sitting in their car and spotting her. David Wenham (you'll know him for sure) is truly repugnant and scary as fuck.

Blue Murder - Another true crime one, this time about a crooked cop and all the killing and drug dealing he did.

Bad Boy Bubby - This film is hilarious to some, disturbing to others, and it does have elements of both. Bubby was raised having never left a filthy single room by his mother, who fucks him. He's mentally deficient and can only say a few phrases (he learns a couple more as he meets more people. He strangles his mother and goes on a journey to meet people. He doesn't so much instigate any situations as he does just fall into them. He joins a band. He finds the love with a nurse with big tits. He carries round a dead cat wrapped in glad wrap. AWESOME FACTOR 12!

Undead - Very much a so bad its awesome zombie film. I'd say up there with early Peter Jackson movies. Fairly standard outbreak in a remote community, some people die, some don't. Dialogue is at a premium in this one and the acting tour de force of these actors drives it's funniness. quote" Yeah, well, in my day we respected our elders. WE DIDN'T FUCKIN' EAT 'EM".

And finally we have John Hillcoat's previous 2 films (director of The Road).

Ghosts of the Civil Dead - This was '85 if I recall correctly. I wouldn't be surprised if the people at HBO had seen this because it's the plot of season 1 of Oz. Ultramaximum High Security prison full of very nasty unglamorized crims (Including Nick Cave, who mostly just screams 'nigger' and stabs people). Story basically just follows what the conditions were like for the guards and the prisoners that resulted in a total clusterfuck riot. Added bonus on DVD: Interview with Blixa Bargeld (Formerly of Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds) Talking about him doing the soundtrack. He is such a pretentious wanker it is a train wreck / pleasure to watch.

The Proposition
- Hillcoat once again proves he likes making everything as bleak and depressing as possible. It's a western of sorts I suppose, but doesn't follow any of the conventions. Set in the late 1800's, theres outlaws, theres rape, theres murder, theres death. Theres also fuckin' Ray Winstone, John Hurt, Emily Watson, David Wenham and Guy motherfuckin' Pearce. Soundtrack by Nick Cave and Warren Ellis.
'the fuck did I do?
BABY SHAKER
bigger softer russier!

Post by BABY SHAKER »

thank you for this, mobies.
*takes note/appreciates*
Mr John
not very out-and-about-y

Post by Mr John »

Holy shit! Great list, thanks mate!

:D
"Bof."
Mobiesque
confusitron

Post by Mobiesque »

I please to aim!

I own the ones I couldn't find a torrent for. Look first, if you can't find a torrent or a bargain basement price I'll hook you up.
'the fuck did I do?
Liingus
cute as a crackbaby
Missin' Jimmy level: 16

Post by Liingus »

Dress Barn wrote:Image
Epic film if you picture the alien as a indian chief

MI-KI MOUSSE

now we wait for mitch
General Tso s Chicken
bigger softer russier!

my favorite aussie film i have watched so far :

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0071282/

f-imdb this movie is more of an 8 .
Mobiesque
confusitron

Post by Mobiesque »

Haha, oh yeah. Haven't seen that in a REALLY long time.

This one might be up your alley too: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0072209/
'the fuck did I do?
Rado
OMG WTF
Missin' Jimmy level: 90

Post by Rado »

Wake In Fright is a good one too.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0067541/
(lingus)";p="997234 wrote:there's enough there for me,
step aside boob glutton
Mr John
not very out-and-about-y

Post by Mr John »

Don't attack me with sticks right, but I never saw Apocalypse Now until Monday, when my other half rented the Redux for us.
:oops:

It's fecking great.
:)
"Bof."
Dress Barn
cute as a crackbaby

Post by Dress Barn »

Way better then I imagined. Very funny and very well done
General Tso s Chicken
bigger softer russier!

john , look for "hearts of darkness" , the documentary about the making of A.N. .

it was excellent !
Grotocult
cute as a crackbaby

Post by Grotocult »

Out of Sight. Had never seen it. Fucking awesome. Classic cast (including Albert Brooks, Ving Rhames, Nancy Allen, Dennis fucking Farina, Michael Keaton, Don Cheadle, Samuel L Jackson and super-hot J-Lo, who, yes, can act: see also The Cell). Great script, great directing. Reminded me also how much I used to love reading Elmore Leonard books.
Dress Barn
cute as a crackbaby

Post by Dress Barn »

A very strange movie that has a very uncomfortable 70's rape scene.

I don't get the ending at all
I couldn't understand why they were saying what they were saying

I loved it but I might try watching it again when I'm not so high
General Tso s Chicken
bigger softer russier!

i love you alice b. toklas , enjoyed this quite a bit , the 60's free love psychedelic scene gone meaningless , almost every single gag in this flick just did it for me . mind you i was born towards the end of the 60's , so i dont hold anything against the film , but it was still really funny and did not feel dated at all . silly finger pointing fun . regardless of the fact i never really got wrapped up in that scene , or was exposed to much of it , i found it fucking hilarious , just really funny . the performances were excellent . i needed a good laugh , even though i really didn't expect it to be much . (i found out about this film from a line in an episode of CHiPS) .

check this one out :

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0063115/