Recent Games. A very brief opinion..

Private forum for gaming discussion

Moderators: Busta, Eviltoastman

Eviltoastman
Part-time Demi-Mod
Favorite Books: .
Missin' Jimmy level: 10

Re: Recent Games. A very brief opinion..

Post by Eviltoastman »

Mr John. Consider Football Manager instead... since your legs are going due to age. :)

On the PS4 vs XBone (love the Ex-bone name). I'm leaning heavily (due to cake-retention) to the PS4. Don;t fancy kinect which is now forced upon you and is shit and makes the console cost more and drm, and the blocking of second hand software (by proxy) and that it's region locked, and that it's made by cunts. Should be called the Xbox 1984 with all it's camera and mic bugging shit. Roar and rage etc against the Microsoft. Since Uncle Billy went to stop Aids killing all the brown people the company has gone to shit. he must be so proud.
Sharppie is my best friend.
hlk
Hopeless fan-boy
Missin' Jimmy level: 11
Twitter: https://twitter.com/hlk

Post by hlk »

No one's getting an Xbox One now.
Saddam Disney wrote:Hey. Listen, I really apologize for all the things I said about you. I never met them. I think you are cute actually.

Would you please get rid of the hall of flame? Obviously anyone who was interested in it had more than ample time to read it now. I'm just really trying to foregt about that piece of shit Denise as much as possible. And I think it is pretty much juvenile keeping it up. Will you please forgive me and take it down? I'd really appreciate it. Please let me know. Thanks a lot. Happy Holidays, take care, peace!

Jimmy G.
Eviltoastman
Part-time Demi-Mod

Post by Eviltoastman »

We'll see about that!

*buys an Xbone(tm)*
Roark
not very out-and-about-y
Missin' Jimmy level: 0

Post by Roark »

Can the need for a web connection be disabled?

*doesn't google*
Miss Yvonne wrote:Stop having boring tuna. Stop having a boring life.
Eviltoastman
Part-time Demi-Mod

Post by Eviltoastman »

The way it works is, the console needs to dial home (ha! remember dial-up?!) every 24 hours. Failure to call home results in the games being blocked until you dial in again.

Also, you cannot play second hand games. They come built with a serial which your console validates and blocks if it has been used in another machine. Plus it has kinect built in.

Microsoft have said it is as harmless as your lappytop webcam and microphone, the issue is you can disable those components with no issues, with the Xbone, you can only do it with a hammer and that might invalidate your warranty...

... and if you remember the XB360 over it's first three years and the RROD, you'll probably need it (literally and no exaggeration - I'm now in my 9th XB360 - should be Xbox180 since it kept wanting to be returned to be fixed).

Also, with respect to the webcam ad their claims that they are benign etc, games developers are already coding achievements which will see the game watch you through as you play and one company has advised they have coded an achievement where you can get one of two achievements depending on whether you were frightened (by jumping I'd imagine) at a key frightening scene or another if you keep your cool. This suggests the webcam within kinnect which also can monitor your heartbeat will be constantly live. Also, do you want your foul mouthed XBox live death threats uttered in the privacy of your own home reported to the NSA so they can link you to Al Qaeda and torture you by making yiu wear orange which was simply so last season and just looks awful if your naturally tanned....
Teddy Ruxpin
banned
Missin' Jimmy level: 1
Twitter: https://twitter.com/Ouzorikommand

Post by Teddy Ruxpin »

People will still buy the Xbox One due to franchise recognition alone. Regardless of how lame that is the majority of the populous does not care about technical specs. Though in terms of who will win commercially and critically the PS4 should win this generation of console gaming as opposed to being second or third this generation.
hlk
Hopeless fan-boy
Missin' Jimmy level: 11
Twitter: https://twitter.com/hlk

Post by hlk »

Saddam Disney wrote:Hey. Listen, I really apologize for all the things I said about you. I never met them. I think you are cute actually.

Would you please get rid of the hall of flame? Obviously anyone who was interested in it had more than ample time to read it now. I'm just really trying to foregt about that piece of shit Denise as much as possible. And I think it is pretty much juvenile keeping it up. Will you please forgive me and take it down? I'd really appreciate it. Please let me know. Thanks a lot. Happy Holidays, take care, peace!

Jimmy G.
Eviltoastman
Part-time Demi-Mod

Post by Eviltoastman »

I'm going to bore you now.
I always felt the arcade marketplace was heading in that direction. It;s just NEVER competative so half the stuff in that pastbin article is simply hot air. They treat the issue as if each 2nmd hand sale has cost them money when the truth is that as with piracy, those who obtain things at the cheap end of the wedge (or in the case of piracy) they are not necessarilly and in many cases highly unlikely) to have gone and bought the game full price had it not been available for free to pirate or cheap in the second hand market. It;s the same nonsense argument that the BPI and the RIAA give year in year out.

EA have a similar premise in Origin. Last year it was breached, 4,000,000 users were vulnerable. Thousands of people's accounts were compromised because of leaky security their end. They fixed it, another exploit was found and the same thing happened in marsh, then again in May. My account was taken in that last attack. Luckily, I was one of the few who obtained my Origin games through another retailer, so my card details were not stored online and Russian based hack team did not manage to download or order product which would have cost me. I still had to go through the trouble of speaking at length with Origin to recover my account.

Microsoft want to follow a similar model and I wish I could accept their proposals, but using an exploit posted and available ion youtube, it was quite simply to be emailed other people's login details. In 2010 a UK based hacker did this and maxed my credit card by hijacking my account. Again, this was a content provider security issue and not a personal issue. Though I don't mind buying content on the web in general and have done with microsoft, I do not like storing payment options and I bet with microsoft this will be a mandatory requirement. As such I'm still in the PS4 camp for now.
Teddy Ruxpin
banned

Post by Teddy Ruxpin »

GoG and Steam are going to leave me broke soon. So many new games combined with all this extra time i've cultivated will be my doom. I'm ready to invest copious amounts of hours playing Divinity 2, Neverwinter Nights 2 and Driftmoon along with all those sexy looking Wadjet Eye games. Also can't forget Don't Starve, the Gabriel Knight trilogy and the last two Broken Sword games. God forbid when the DLC for Skyrim go on sale i'll be compelled to play that game another few months.
Eviltoastman
Part-time Demi-Mod

Post by Eviltoastman »

I refuse to finish my main quest in Skyrim. If/when I do I might cry because I will need to leave that world for good.
Teddy Ruxpin
banned

Post by Teddy Ruxpin »

Eviltoastman wrote:I refuse to finish my main quest in Skyrim. If/when I do I might cry because I will need to leave that world for good.
It's not so bad. The game doesn't really end. After finishing the main quest line I am still debating on if I should join the thieves guild to get all those gems identified then slaughter the guild, or if I should totally respec my heavy armor sword and board into a light armor battle mage. Also those extra dungeons I never got around too. That and I haven't touched the dlc yet.

Has anyone played Chivalry: Medieval Warfare? It's so much fun.
Roark
not very out-and-about-y

Post by Roark »

Not yet, but I'm a huge fan of the original Medieval: Total War and will mercilessly measure any so-called battlefield simulator against that yardstick.
Teddy Ruxpin
banned

Post by Teddy Ruxpin »

Roark wrote:Not yet, but I'm a huge fan of the original Medieval: Total War and will mercilessly measure any so-called battlefield simulator against that yardstick.
Chivalry is different. It's a FPS with melee combat that's not terribly unrealistic. You will use different melee attacks other than a generic swing, you will have to use feints, kicks, blocks and various other techniques to succeed. It's pretty brutal.
Eviltoastman
Part-time Demi-Mod

Post by Eviltoastman »

I really enjoyed Borderlands GOTY on 360. I got the Borderlands 2 with seasons pass and Borderlands GOTY all on the PC for £14.00. Again by pretending I'm in Achrage. Good shooters the lot of them. Bags of humour.
Teddy Ruxpin
banned

Post by Teddy Ruxpin »

Eviltoastman wrote:I really enjoyed Borderlands GOTY on 360. I got the Borderlands 2 with seasons pass and Borderlands GOTY all on the PC for £14.00. Again by pretending I'm in Achrage. Good shooters the lot of them. Bags of humour.
Bought Borderlands GOTY on 360, then for the first time couldn't play the DLC because I bought a 4gb hardrive thinking "I won't need more". Upon realization that Borderlands was the first GOTY I bought that requires installation I became oh so salty.
Roark
not very out-and-about-y

Post by Roark »

I'm doing Baldur's Gate II after doing Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition because I hate myself.

I'm in a buggy lesbian romance with Jaheira.
Mr John
not very out-and-about-y

Post by Mr John »

I hit Skyrim hard this last month, got up to level 54 and finished all the quests and sub quests presented to me.
I am not doing petty little jaunts to further my XP any more. I'm OOT.
Went back to XCOM, which I nearly binned due to the glitches on "impossible" mode.
"Bof."
Mobiesque
confusitron
Missin' Jimmy level: 666

Post by Mobiesque »

While I'm still trying to reach 'the least productive ive ever been in my life' status, I bought a modded ps3.It is the bee's fuckin' knees.

So Far:

Tomb Raider - I fucking loved it. Really tight controls, story takes an extreme back seat to a nice simple upgrade system and the best sense of height I've felt in a game. Seriously triggered my acrophobia in some parts. Great Fun!

The Last of Us - Obviously it's getting 10/10 everywhere which I think is a little much, but everything about it is a solid 8, which is rare these days. Loved the story, was shit at stealth in open areas against the humans. Top quality.

Sleeping Dogs - Not liked a GTA game since the top downs, this was way more fun. Didn't do as many of the side missions as I should. More ridealong bullettime down the highway would have been fun.

Binary Domain - What a waste. Im diggin the ps3 cover based shooters, but the story was SO lacking. First half was completely generic gung ho USA USA. Needed more spec ops/blade runner and less COD. Also combat was a little repetitive and the boss fights were totally unimaginative.

Infamous - Got 5 hours in and my save got corrupted. Will go back at some point cos it was super fun and silly.

Saints Row 3 - Stopped a couple of hours in, didn't grab me. There were some funny features, but coming from so many games with good cover mechanics, this just kinda shat me.

Keeping Wipeout HD and Katamari forever for when I want to play just a little bit of something. I got really fucking good at We Love Katamari, so I'm shocked at how quickly I've hit a difficulty curve and am sucking hard. Need to spend more time practicing.

And currently playing (almost finished) Red Dead Redemption. So fucking good. Unlike the GTA games where I hate driving, I could ride around the plains for hours. Serene as fuck and I don't need to go outside!

PS3 is a great system so far, especially as I'm not paying out the arse for games. Gotta say though, the jaggies can kill me in some games. max 30fps and no anti aliasing @ 720p on a full HD tv is abominable at times.

Good thing I've held onto my gigantic CRT though, I was gifted with this gorgeous mail package the other week. Hasn't been warm enough for me to venture outside of my bedroom lately, but soon...

Cat not included
'the fuck did I do?
Rick Cave
cute as a crackbaby

Post by Rick Cave »

Damn. I'd probably have more fun with the cat.

My recent review is for Thief.
It seems to suck all the fun out of playing a game. The controls are shit.
The whole point of the game is stealth and that is shit. Which inevitably leads to fighting which is even more shit.

Toss in horrible writing and voice acting and you've got a recipe for...not such a good time.
Depressed beyond tablets
Miss Yvonne
cute as a crackbaby
Missin' Jimmy level: 462
Twitter: http://twitter.com/brandibrandi
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/shorterscreenname/

Post by Miss Yvonne »

General Tso s Chicken wrote:how where the mrs. puals crates today , cold ?
Busta
cute as a crackbaby
Missin' Jimmy level: 5

Post by Busta »

That's awesome, Brandi!
Eviltoastman wrote:Tofu is made from satan's cum and lego.