Film & books

Moderators: Eviltoastman, Don Eduardo, Rick Cave, judasmuppet

Hitman

Kill Bill

Post by Hitman »

Are you kidding?

I want to buy a snake....
Maybe a hamster to go with it.
And have a little death match while I have my morning orange juice.
judasmuppet
cute as a crackbaby
Missin' Jimmy level: 0

Post by judasmuppet »

No I'm not kidding. Kill Bill was utter crap. No redeaming features (with the notable exception of the animated sequence). It just doesn't work. It's a less than mediocre homage to a multitude of different genres and movies therein.
I SINCERELY HOPE YOU CUNTS NEVER BUILD PLANES
Hitman

Post by Hitman »

To say it "just doesn't work" is ridiculous.
You not liking it does not take away from it's purpose.
I mean, you're basically contradicting yourself...
judasmuppet
cute as a crackbaby

Post by judasmuppet »

You're not making any sense. And you sound like a girl.
Hitman

Post by Hitman »

I like your little beard.
ReverseEngineer
cute as a crackbaby

Post by ReverseEngineer »

judasmuppet";p="783436 wrote:No I'm not kidding. Kill Bill was utter crap. No redeaming features (with the notable exception of the animated sequence). It just doesn't work. It's a less than mediocre homage to a multitude of different genres and movies therein.
if you look at it as simply homage and nothing more, you're bound to be let down
but if you look at it as telling its own story, and using the homage as a way to get its main point across, it works fairly well.

But you're the guy who hasn't seen the whole story, so that won't happen.
judasmuppet
cute as a crackbaby

Post by judasmuppet »

I gave this film plenty of time. I don't see how watching part II would improve my opinion of it. The homage angle is a major aspect of the film, but not the only thing I judged it on.

Other points we disagree on also include: direction and action. I.e. you think they were good, and I think they were atrocious.

So tell me then: what is this amazing point or purpose you two keep referring to?
Hitman

Post by Hitman »

He only saw Vol 1?
Ok...

:lol:
judasmuppet
cute as a crackbaby

Post by judasmuppet »

Try to actually contribute something to the argument, Luis.
ReverseEngineer
cute as a crackbaby

Post by ReverseEngineer »

there's quite a lot of opinion in the film on the effects violence as entertainment has on children
Hitman

Post by Hitman »

judasmuppet";p="783480 wrote:Try to actually contribute something to the argument, Luis.
I'm not arguing.
You don't like it, I think it's great.

It's not like Tarantino is my brother or anything...
Mobiesque
confusitron
Missin' Jimmy level: 666

Post by Mobiesque »

Style over substance is problematic in the best of hands. Visually, I thought it was pretty good (though obviously a blatant pasticcio) and the story was interesting enough to keep me watching, but thats about as far as it goes. Tarantino shits me more often than not these days.
'the fuck did I do?
Hitman

Post by Hitman »

The only film of his I wasn't head over heels for was Jackie Brown...
Mobiesque
confusitron
Missin' Jimmy level: 666

Post by Mobiesque »

Ah, I liked that as I'm a whore for Elmore Leonard, and it was a pretty good adaptation.

Luuuuuuuuisss

Luiiiissss

Oh, and I just imdb'd him to remember what else he'd done..

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0808446/

Reservoir Dogs...THE GAME! :eek:
'the fuck did I do?
Hitman

Post by Hitman »

I also love Elmore Leonard, and generally liked the movie.
It's just not Tarantino enough for me, I guess.
I expected more...

That Luuuuuuisssssss bit is my fave part.
Of course, I've got a hard on for Bridget Fonda ever since then...
Hitman

Post by Hitman »

I just clicked that link, as I didn't know what you were getting at...a Reservoir Dogs Game? What the fuck??
ELMO
confusitron

Post by ELMO »

This discussion has no bearing unless you have seen the "whole" movie Vol's I & II

I really didnt care for Vol. I on the first sitting, but I did like Vol. II, but as a whole I think both volumes should be viewed back to back to appreciate the movie
Hitman

Post by Hitman »

I totally agree.
I feel Vol II is the better half of the film...
judasmuppet
cute as a crackbaby

Post by judasmuppet »

Blah blah blah.

I wanted to turn Vol. I off after five minutes. I.e. shit film.
Eviltoastman
Part-time Demi-Mod
Favorite Books: .
Missin' Jimmy level: 10

Post by Eviltoastman »

I could appreciate Kill Bill. Unlike most who can I am not ignorant of the source material, and unlike those who bear grudge for the reference/homage, I could live with it. It was no more an insult than Taxi Driver was to The Searchers or Paris Texxas was to Shane. I loved what Tarrantino does withhhis influence. It's not like he mimmicks to create the same pice of cinema. He adapts and adopts, seemlessly to weave an entirely new narrative, in fresh and innovative ways and brings us cinema which is usually steeped in humour (and not your family guy "laugh at the obvious references" humour either). Another thing I really enjoy about Kill Bill is the sheer campness of it all. Where post-war Japanese cinema is totally hilarious because of the way it takes itself too serious, Tarrantino takes the piss, and Jap cinema deserves to be taken down a peg or two.

I'm not saying I enjoyed Taxi Driver less than Kill Bill, because I still get a lot of satisfaction from Taxi Driver as I do Kill Bill, but I feel Taxi Driver has a stronger protagonsit one I can readily identify with from a director I find to be less forceful at directing the viewer's eye. The reference to the western in general and in particular that of The Searchers keeps the film fresh, keeps me thinking where Kill Bill is more of a popcorn film; louder, camper, funnier and more direct which is not a bad thing since Tarrantino has never claimed to make anything but direct popcorn cinema.

If you are looking for anything else from a Tarrantino film and then criticise him for that, then the film is certainly not the issue. If you despise tyhe film having not seen it having seen some of it but walking out because of factors such as say "strong references" to other films, well, that to is not a genuine issue with film, considering the fact that those stating this reason above also attest to loving Taxi Driver which copies The Searchers' narrative almost completely, where as Tarrantino does no such thing against one single film. Maybe this is a predjudice sourced from elsewhere then?

Kill Bill isn't great film, but it's far from crap and is extremely watchable. I found it quite satisfying, particularly the climax.
Sharppie is my best friend.
Hitman

Post by Hitman »

evilmugman";p="784127 wrote: Kill Bill is more of a popcorn film; louder, camper, funnier and more direct which is not a bad thing since Tarrantino has never claimed to make anything but direct popcorn cinema.

If you are looking for anything else from a Tarrantino film and then criticise him for that, then the film is certainly not the issue.
My thoughts exactly...
evilmugman";p="784127 wrote:
Kill Bill isn't great film, but it's far from crap and is extremely watchable. I found it quite satisfying, particularly the climax.
8)
Eviltoastman
Part-time Demi-Mod

Post by Eviltoastman »

I'd like to add that although Taxi Driver is a great film, I know at least in my opinion it is not the zenith of film.
Hitman

Post by Hitman »

Very far from it...
Eviltoastman
Part-time Demi-Mod

Post by Eviltoastman »

That honour belongs to Young Guns II.
Hitman