Recent Games. A very brief opinion..

Private forum for gaming discussion

Moderators: Busta, Eviltoastman

Eviltoastman
Part-time Demi-Mod
Favorite Books: .
Missin' Jimmy level: 10

Post by Eviltoastman »

Hated them at first, but the Communications Centre has me gripped. The outdoorsey one is okay, the Chinatown one is beautiful and a blast to play pissed up. Not played the other one.
Sharppie is my best friend.
joey5001
i <3 goatovaries

Post by joey5001 »

I still haven't played 'the other one.'
Is it in rotation?
Nearl: Where's Babar?
X-tacle: He's in the shower.
Nearl: No he's not! Elephants take showers with their noses!
lol-o-caust
ask me about my yeast infection
Missin' Jimmy level: 0

Post by lol-o-caust »

Never played COD, can't get into military type games.
:???:

About to finish the latest Ratchet & Clank. That's fun.
:smile:
Stuff.
Redundant Retard
3% gay

Post by Redundant Retard »

5 days a stranger - Great nostalgia. Point and click adventure (Larry-like) set in a Cthulhian atmosphere. A bit short, but a gem amongst freeware adventure games.
GoatOvaries wrote:No. It is none of your business what I like. It's only your business what I choose to make public, which is what I don't like.
The Rambam
a lustrous shine
Favorite Books: Foucault's Pendulum - Umberto Eco
The Dune Chronicles - Frank Herbert
Favorite Films: The Shawshank Redemption
The Godfather (Parts 1 & 2)
The Big Lebowski
Brazil
Unforgiven
Conspiracy
Favorite TV: The Wire
Deadwood
Rome
30 Rock
Batman: The Brave and the Bold
Justice League/Justice League Unlimited
Invader ZIM

Post by The Rambam »

Aren't there a prequel and a sequel (Four something a something and Seven something a something, respectively)?
"Well, they finally did it: They killed my fucking car."
Redundant Retard
3% gay

Quite true. It's a actually a bunch of games from the same maker, but I haven't had the pleasure of testing them yet.
GoatOvaries wrote:No. It is none of your business what I like. It's only your business what I choose to make public, which is what I don't like.
Busta
cute as a crackbaby
Missin' Jimmy level: 5

Post by Busta »

Patapon - Fantastic!
Eviltoastman wrote:Tofu is made from satan's cum and lego.
Busta
cute as a crackbaby
Missin' Jimmy level: 5

Post by Busta »

Wipeout Pure is exceptional
Eviltoastman wrote:Tofu is made from satan's cum and lego.
Rado
OMG WTF
Missin' Jimmy level: 90

Post by Rado »

Busta";p="950782 wrote:Wipeout Pure is exceptional
neener overload!
(lingus)";p="997234 wrote:there's enough there for me,
step aside boob glutton
Eviltoastman
Part-time Demi-Mod

Post by Eviltoastman »

GTA IV (360)

Overhyped. Yes. But not by much,, the game is excellent and the multiplayer modes although a mixed bag have some real diamonds there. Multiplayer racing is just so much fun. The game is not as deep or dense as many would have you believe, in fact the game is largely bereft of tangible content. Things are pretty superficial and as Reverse Engineer advised, its shelf life has to be questioned. As much as I love the game I somehow feel that this has not go the legs that Vice City had.

Final Fantasy XII (PS2)

I've had this for some time but my smartjoy fucked up all my PS2 pads and I only just got around to replacing one. I'm glad I did. At the moment, I'm hooked and I get the feeling that this is not too far shy of the greatness that was FFVII. I absolutely adore the licensing system and my only grip is that the Dual Shock (which I always detested) is now made from a cheaper plastic, with less robust feeling buttons. I wish my 360 wireless pad worked on the ps2.

Street Fighter 2: Hyper Fighting (Xbox Live 360).

I love Capcom vs SNK 1, 2 and EO and so this is an almost unbearable regression. A pleasant nostalgia trip.

Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2 - New multiplayer maps. (360 live).

Still the king of online tactical shooters, with over 40 multiplayer maps, it puts COD4 to shame. COd boasts reviews stating that it's the most in depth multiplayer shooter of all time. Bullshit. COD is far more immediate fun, but GRAW2 simply has all the cards when it comes to proper teamplay and strategy. The new map packs breath new life in this game which is most welcome.

Metroid Prime 2: Echoes (GC)

A reason to buy a Gamecube right there. As things stand if I werre given the choice between a gamecube and its top 10 games and a PS3 and its top 10 games, I'd go for the Gamecube:

Below are stats from Gamesrankings which gauges all available website and magazine reviews and compiles a pretty good average score for games. The comparison below is pretty interesting:

Gamecube
1. Metroid Prime 96.264%
2. Resident Evil 4 95.783%
3. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker 94.811%
4. Soul Calibur II 92.257%
5. SSX 3 92.054%
6. Metroid Prime 2: Echoes 91.925%
7. Super Mario Sunshine 91.681%
8. Viewtiful Joe 91.681%
9. Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time 91.560%
10. Madden NFL 2004 91.537%

PS3
1. Grand Theft Auto IV 99.567%
2. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare 93.682%
3. The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion 93.073%
4. Rock Band 91.230%
5. Uncharted: Drake's Fortune 89.697%
6. Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction 88.462%
7. The Orange Box 87.881%
8. Burnout Paradise 87.880%
9. Resistance: Fall of Man 86.782%
10. Ninja Gaiden Sigma 86.542%

The top three for the PS3 are all available on the 360 and the rest are forgettable titles. As you can see, PS3 reception is pretty poor. This is in part due to the machine currently enjoying (perhaps not) it's honeymoon period. Below are some other formats.

1. Grand Theft Auto IV 98.833%
2. The Orange Box 96.324%
3. BioShock 95.380%
4. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare 94.144%
5. The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion 93.848%
6. Gears of War 93.784%
7. Halo 3 93.390%
8. Rock Band 93.008%
9. Guitar Hero II 92.225%
10. Mass Effect 91.041%

Wii
1. Super Mario Galaxy 97.313%
2. Super Smash Bros. Brawl 94.054%
3. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess 93.982%
4. Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition 90.928%
5. Metroid Prime 3: Corruption 89.708%
6. Okami 89.508%
7. Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock 86.689%
8. Zack & Wiki: Quest for Barbaros' Treasure 85.875%
9. Super Paper Mario 84.880%
10. Bully: Scholarship Edition 83.065%
joey5001
i <3 goatovaries

Post by joey5001 »

Bioshock got a better rating than COD4?
I also thought Oblivion was over rated. Leave RPGs to the Japs.
Eviltoastman
Part-time Demi-Mod

Post by Eviltoastman »

To diss Oblivion is to diss GTA IV - indirectly. Oblivion is GTA with more to it and less vehicles. Take GTA, add customisation on top of customisation, add an impossible inventory, spells, enchanting, alchemy and Gladiatorial battles - and you get Oblivion. When that is considered, logic dictates that it must be under rated...and the Shivering Isles are some of the most beautiful visuals I've seen on a video game and some of the quests are excellent - the Dark Brotherhood quest pisses over any single player quest in GTA IV.

Cod 4 is not a great single player game. Bioshock is, so I can see why that score was awarded.
joey5001
i <3 goatovaries

Post by joey5001 »

Eviltoastman";p="956432 wrote:To diss Oblivion is to diss GTA IV - indirectly.
:lol:
Then Oblivion is fundamentally the same as Call of Duty 4, if you take away the fundamental elements...

Also, COD4 single player is fantastic. The best offline content in any game I own on the 360. I still haven't completed it on 'veteran.'
Eviltoastman
Part-time Demi-Mod

Post by Eviltoastman »

:roll: Come back when you think about what you wrote.
joey5001
i <3 goatovaries

Post by joey5001 »

I believe my previous post was sufficiently thought through to provide a fitting response to an obviously jokey post from your good self.
Eviltoastman
Part-time Demi-Mod

Post by Eviltoastman »

GTA and Oblivion involve rich, diverse, involving interactive worlds. Both allow the gamer to play through a main quest though both have an abundance of side quests which do not necessarily connect to the main quest. Both give the gamer a sense of complete freedom, where COD4 is completely restrictive and far too linear. GRAW and GRAW2 offers far better and rewarding single player experience, patience and strategy are not exactly terms which apply to COD4's single player experience, and since I don't really enjoy arcade games...COD4 single player falls on its face. Both GTA IV and Oblivion use marks (general disposable characters) and NPCs. GTA was developed using the Oblivion Engine and published by the same production company (Take 2). The games only really differ in setting and depth of content, which Oblivion wins hands down. Add to this the only thing stopping GTA from being an RPG is the absence of character development, to its detriment. That said, GTA's instant appeal wins many fans off the bat, it's instant reward for the gamer...as with all GTA franchises, the game will die in a whimper because these games lack legs, this is not to stop me enjoying this now.

Take general robbing. GTA: Stealk a car or beat someone up, you get chased by the law, their determination decided byt the severity of the offence. Once you get far enough away from the police giving chase and lie low or find a spray shop, your wanted level dissapears and the police stop pursuing you. In Oblivion, you kill someone for their weapon, horse, cash and the guards give chase. Again their determination is governed by the seriousness of the offence so if you get far enough away or find a senior in the theieves guild to pay off the guards, then your wanted level decreases. I didn't see that in COD4.

In GTA III wardrobe was introduced and in GTA IV it's still there and used for comedy and aesthetics only. In Oblivion, it's funcional. Sure you want your guy to look cool, but it also plays a major role in how you defend, attack and develop as a character.

Weapons in GTA - you can find them lying around inside certain buildings, on different game characters and more powerful weaponry is available from shops as the game progresses. The exact same as Oblivion.

Travelling on foot is painstaking in GTA IV so steal cars or horses in Oblivion and things are made easier. Later in GTA IV you get access to Helicopters and can zip around in no time, in Oblivion, flying machines would be out of the question, so they use teleport systems within the mages guilds instead...

Seriously, the games are very, very, very similar.
lol-o-caust
ask me about my yeast infection

Post by lol-o-caust »

The top ten Xbox games reflect a trend toward 1st/3rd person persective, military/violent games, Rock Band and Guitar Hero being included make it a very masculine console.
:oops:

PS3 top ten contains five games that fit that genre, but Ratchet & Clank is a more family/junior platform game, Uncharted: Drake's Fortune is the new Tomb Raider and Ninja Gaiden Sigma I think is a platform/martial arts romp? Violent, but very a niche market. PS3 market looks more versatile, certainly has more mad Jap RPG influence too.
:biggrin:

As a PS3 owner I'm stunned not to see Motorstorm in that top ten, it's great. As for the Wii - it's a family/gimmicky console for sure and games reviewers are never going to be stunned into rating its games highly.

joey5001";p="956409 wrote:Bioshock got a better rating than COD4?
I also thought Oblivion was over rated. Leave RPGs to the Japs.
Original games trump sequels every time (reviewer mentality)
Stuff.
joey5001
i <3 goatovaries

Post by joey5001 »

Both COD4 and GTA4 have something which propels them to a higher level to Oblivion.
MULTIPLAYER!

I haven't bought a video game magazine in a long while. But back when I did the percentages were drawn up from:

Gameplay
Longevity
Graphics
Multiplayer
(if i recall correctly)

Graphics and Multiplayer are easy wins for COD4.
Longevity on solo mode wins for Oblivion, but the multiplayer mode adds a lot of depth to COD4.
Gameplay is a tough one. The multiple routes you can progress through the game in oblivion with is astounding. But, to me at least, not very enjoyable in comparison to most other RPGs I have played. Whereas the linear (but not completely linear) COD4's gameplay is very enjoyable.

I'd need to read the reviews and ratings each magazine gave in order to form an argument for COD4, as your reasoning for its lower rating may not be shared by the gaming industry. The same goes for Oblivions rating.
Eviltoastman";p="956522 wrote:Again their determination is governed by the seriousness of the offence so if you get far enough away or find a senior in the theieves guild to pay off the guards, then your wanted level decreases. I didn't see that in COD4.
Why would you see that in COD4? COD4 is a military game, not a fantasy game...
And the AI improves if you set the difficulty level higher.
Eviltoastman
Part-time Demi-Mod

Post by Eviltoastman »

joey5001";p="956543 wrote:Why would you see that in COD4? COD4 is a military game, not a fantasy game...
No shit.
joey5001 wrote:Then Oblivion is fundamentally the same as Call of Duty 4...
joey5001";p="956543 wrote:And the AI improves if you set the difficulty level higher.
Really? Whodathunkit!?

COD4 single player. Forgetable. Extremely linear. Short. No long term appeal. No different that COD 2 and 3 really. Bioshock, Halo 3, Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 1 and 2, Orange Box...all have better one player modes.

Multiplayer shouldn't be a decisive factor in a market in which the share of Live Gold subscribers is less than 30%.
joey5001
i <3 goatovaries

Post by joey5001 »

Eviltoastman";p="956568 wrote:
joey5001";p="956543 wrote:Why would you see that in COD4? COD4 is a military game, not a fantasy game...
No shit.
Why use the lack of fantasy elements in COD4 against it then?
This post was in jest...
joey5001";p="956543 wrote:And the AI improves if you set the difficulty level higher.
Really? Whodathunkit!?

Not you? As you seem quite in awe of the fact the enemy gets progressively harder to face in correlation to the extremity of the crime in Oblivion. You declined to say that COD4 also offers an option of a harder AI. And with the option to choose the difficulty, offers more people a suitable challenge.
Eviltoastman";p="956568 wrote: COD4 single player. Forgetable. Extremely linear. Short. No long term appeal. No different that COD 2 and 3 really. Bioshock, Halo 3, Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 1 and 2, Orange Box...all have better one player modes.

Multiplayer shouldn't be a decisive factor in a market in which the share of Live Gold subscribers is less than 30%.
Whilst there are several ways to complete levels, it is pretty linear. Which is far enough. Not every game has vast landscapes to explore. Not every person wants to gallop on a horse for 20 minutes to get to the next 'level.'
Short? I'd disagree. If you play on veteran it is going to take a long time to complete.
And after a while of playing Oblivion, the missions/fights become samey.

I didn't know the figure was less than 30%. But I didn't say it was a deciding factor. Just a factor.
Eviltoastman
Part-time Demi-Mod

Post by Eviltoastman »

joey5001";p="956611 wrote:
No shit.
Why use the lack of fantasy elements in COD4 against it then?
I didn't. :)
This post was in jest...
Rendering your question above irrelevant as my post was a sarcastic response to comment that COD was the same as Oblivion which in no way alluded to fantasy aspects of Oblivion, but of the way that GTA and Oblivion work in identical ways when a crime was committed. I didn't allude, I stated, so not really much room for you to misconstrue.
Really? Whodathunkit!?

Not you? As you seem quite in awe of the fact the enemy gets progressively harder to face in correlation to the extremity of the crime in Oblivion. You declined to say that COD4 also offers an option of a harder AI. And with the option to choose the difficulty, offers more people a suitable challenge.
A comparison is in no way "awe". ;) See the above point.

I think I've progressed further than your good self on Veteran difficulty...it's a bit odd that you feel that you in a position to lecture me over the merits of this aspect of the game considering my mastery over this outstrips yours :?
Eviltoastman";p="956568 wrote: COD4 single player. Forgetable. Extremely linear. Short. No long term appeal. No different that COD 2 and 3 really. Bioshock, Halo 3, Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 1 and 2, Orange Box...all have better one player modes.

Whilst there are several ways to complete levels, it is pretty linear. Which is far enough. Not every game has vast landscapes to explore. Not every person wants to gallop on a horse for 20 minutes to get to the next 'level.'
Short? I'd disagree. If you play on veteran it is going to take a long time to complete.
And after a while of playing Oblivion, the missions/fights become samey.

I didn't know the figure was less than 30%. But I didn't say it was a deciding factor. Just a factor.
In Oblivion, it's never necessary to ride or walk from town to town and once an 'out of town' location like a dungeon, shrine etc is found, you can always fast travel there.

Call of Duty never changes, identical each time you play it. Oblivion and GTA, things are far more random. They are far more susceptible to chaos theory. Oblivion and GTA get repetitive very quickly, this is true. The dungeons are samey but Call of Duty suffers this more than many shooters.

GRAW 1 and 2 are the same and are very linear, but not as linear as Call of Duty which offers no strategic or tactical stimulus, it's very much an ABC game. Bioshock is also very linear, but the quality of the AI far outstrips the AI in COD4, which is absolute pants. Upping the difficulty does not make the AI any "better" tactically, it just makes them more accurate, this is cheap. Compared to GRAW 1&2, Bioshock, Halo 3 (the AI is much better on Halo 3) and Orange Box it fares very poorly.

I agree that multiplayer should be a factor, and given the detriments noted above the multiplayer aspect of COD4 saves it completely. It's a great game.

The Xbox Live figure is pretty high. Of 17.7 million sold, 10 million are on live. The majority are dead user accounts and silver subscriptions, but a sizeable chunk maintain their accounts.
Redundant Retard
3% gay

Random maps in games are perhaps essential for their replayability.
Dress Barn
cute as a crackbaby

Post by Dress Barn »

Frogger 25th Evolution---
best game I ever downloaded for my cellphone

Anybody get past level 6?
Dress Barn
cute as a crackbaby

Post by Dress Barn »

Solved and solved...
ReverseEngineer
cute as a crackbaby

Post by ReverseEngineer »

Rock Band continues to be my favorite game to play.