Six Feet Under

Film & books

Moderators: Eviltoastman, Don Eduardo, Rick Cave, judasmuppet

Thunder Beer
a lustrous shine

Six Feet Under

Post by Thunder Beer »

Ive heard about this for years, but have never gotten around to see it before now. Last week I saw season 1, and have to admit that this is some great stuff!

Anyone seen it?
Rick Cave";p="924516 wrote: ...once you go Toby you never go back.
Mobiesque
confusitron
Missin' Jimmy level: 666

Post by Mobiesque »

Season one is the quirkiest of the lot. From here on in it will get progressively more depressing and upsetting.

Most excellent show.
'the fuck did I do?
Thunder Beer
a lustrous shine

Post by Thunder Beer »

Nice to know.

Iam watching season two right now...
hlk
Hopeless fan-boy
Missin' Jimmy level: 11
Twitter: https://twitter.com/hlk

Post by hlk »

Goes downhill QUICK after the first couple of seasons, though those are very good.

The new show Michael C. Hall is in, "Dexter," is pretty awesome so far.
Saddam Disney wrote:Hey. Listen, I really apologize for all the things I said about you. I never met them. I think you are cute actually.

Would you please get rid of the hall of flame? Obviously anyone who was interested in it had more than ample time to read it now. I'm just really trying to foregt about that piece of shit Denise as much as possible. And I think it is pretty much juvenile keeping it up. Will you please forgive me and take it down? I'd really appreciate it. Please let me know. Thanks a lot. Happy Holidays, take care, peace!

Jimmy G.
Thunder Beer
a lustrous shine

Post by Thunder Beer »

Yeah, Ive seen some Dexter episodes. Looks cool...
Mary Hinge
3% gay
Missin' Jimmy level: 0

Post by Mary Hinge »

I watched all five seasons back to back recently.

The first two seasons are some of the best TV ever made. Seasons 3 and 4 are not as good and one or two of the characters become annoying...however, there are still some great episodes, in particular ''That's my dog" is a jaw dropper.
Season 5 is magnificent.

Watch 'em all Toby - it's awesome stuff
Razor wrote:Neighbours are outside arguing..."you fucking fuck fuck stupid dumbfuck fucker fuck".
This sounds like you guys.
Thunder Beer
a lustrous shine

Post by Thunder Beer »

I just did, and yeah, I agree on most things you said. Thats my dog was perhaps the best episode out of all... But I really think season 4 was one of the better seasons. Season 3 had the most weak moments, but still good!
Thunder Beer
a lustrous shine

Post by Thunder Beer »

So tell me Mary... Did you start crying at the end of the last episode?

I almost did :oops:

God I am sensitive..
hlk
Hopeless fan-boy

Post by hlk »

I hated the last season! Thought it was awful! Although there were a couple of really good episodes near the very end that almost made up for it. I'm sorry to say that I even thought the montage at the end of the finale was goofy. Actually, it made me giggle.
Saddam Disney wrote:Hey. Listen, I really apologize for all the things I said about you. I never met them. I think you are cute actually.

Would you please get rid of the hall of flame? Obviously anyone who was interested in it had more than ample time to read it now. I'm just really trying to foregt about that piece of shit Denise as much as possible. And I think it is pretty much juvenile keeping it up. Will you please forgive me and take it down? I'd really appreciate it. Please let me know. Thanks a lot. Happy Holidays, take care, peace!

Jimmy G.
Thunder Beer
a lustrous shine

Post by Thunder Beer »

You actually hated it? :shock:

Hate is a strong word dude. Hate is how I feel about Family Guy and Friends...
Not the best season, but much better than season three!

The montage was goofy. I think it was on purpose. A couple of funny deaths, some sad ones...
I was thinking more like the last supper, and basically just watching David. I felt so damn sorry for him. He is the heart in that family :love:
Mary Hinge
3% gay

Post by Mary Hinge »

The montage was supposed to be funny in parts - In Alan Ball's commentary he laughs about the fact Billy finally bores Brenda to tears. I thought it was well done and gave closure for the sad folks that needed it and a bit of a hoot for those who could see the humour in it. I thought the way Keith died and then David keeling over off the bench was hysterical.

And I not only sobbed all the way through it I spent about a week feeling a horrible sense of loss. Maybe that was to do with the fact I had no more DVDs to watch though.

The last season was perfectly done - they had a load of loose ends to tie up and did most of them really well. The only one I thought was a bit on the lame side was David being the guy in the hooded top..hmmmm.

The bit where Clare drives away and sees Nate running behind her and disappearing just crushes me every time though. :sad:
Razor wrote:Neighbours are outside arguing..."you fucking fuck fuck stupid dumbfuck fucker fuck".
Thunder Beer
a lustrous shine

Post by Thunder Beer »

The montage was supposed to be funny in parts - In Alan Ball's commentary he laughs about the fact Billy finally bores Brenda to tears. I thought it was well done and gave closure for the sad folks that needed it and a bit of a hoot for those who could see the humour in it. I thought the way Keith died and then David keeling over off the bench was hysterical.
:nod:

And I not only sobbed all the way through it I spent about a week feeling a horrible sense of loss. Maybe that was to do with the fact I had no more DVDs to watch though.
I feel the exact same! Thats probably the reason why Iam posting this stuff. I feel empty.
The last season was perfectly done - they had a load of loose ends to tie up and did most of them really well. The only one I thought was a bit on the lame side was David being the guy in the hooded top..hmmmm.
Nah, that wasnt lame...

It would have been lame if David met the hooded guy, and beat him up. If I was the writer of this series, that just might had happened. I would probably also written Lisa back in. Thats how lame I am...
The bit where Clare drives away and sees Nate running behind her and disappearing just crushes me every time though.
Yes Mary, yes!

:love:
hlk
Hopeless fan-boy

Post by hlk »

No, I thought the last season was truly awful with the exception of two episodes, and the entire montage was really cheesy -- in a bad way (yes, the Brenda/Billy scene was funny, but the "sad" scenes were campy-funny to me, too). And I swear I don't just hate "Six Feet Under." I liked the first two seasons a lot.

However, this is coming from someone who still thinks "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" is the best dramatic series ever to air on television. So maybe it's just me.

On a more positive note, I finished watching the first season of "Dexter" last night and it ended even better than it started. I loved it. Interestingly, I find Michael C. Hall about a hundred times more likeable as a serial killer than as uptight old David.

Jimmy G.
Thunder Beer
a lustrous shine

Post by Thunder Beer »

I havent seen Buffy, so I cant really comment on that. But I do have my doubts about it ;-)

Iam almost done with the first season of Dexter, and I like it. Nice to see Hall in a different role. David was great though!
Mary Hinge
3% gay

Post by Mary Hinge »

I don't think Dexter has made it to Aus yet
:sad:
Eviltoastman
Part-time Demi-Mod
Favorite Books: .
Missin' Jimmy level: 10

Post by Eviltoastman »

Never heard of it. I'm not big on television programmes anyhow, but this looks interesting (Dexter). I didn't like Buffy or Angel...if this is of the same ilk then I will tire of it quickly.
Sharppie is my best friend.
hlk
Hopeless fan-boy

Post by hlk »

It's not remotely of the same ilk. Well, maybe in the sense that it's smart, funny, has a compelling season-long story arc & piles o' emotional truth. Okay, I'll stop now.

I didn't like "Angel" either. I don't lump them together.

In some ways I like television better than film. I think it can be a superior format -- it allows for more slow-simmering character development, detail, ongoing plots, etc., and I like that sort of thing. The trick is sifting through all of the hideously bad shows to find the good stuff, but fortunately a lot of good stuff is available lately.

Jimmy G.
Eviltoastman
Part-time Demi-Mod
Favorite Books: .
Missin' Jimmy level: 10

Post by Eviltoastman »

Whedon writes in a similar vein to Kevin Smith, Kevin Williamson and Quentin Tarrintino. Their characters have the same voice which grates, unfortunately.
Sharppie is my best friend.
hlk
Hopeless fan-boy

Post by hlk »

Nam Tsao";p="841568 wrote:Whedon writes in a similar vein to Kevin Smith, Kevin Williamson and Quentin Tarrintino. Their characters have the same voice which grates, unfortunately.
Understood. I like him, and I enjoyed Tarantino's early stuff, but Kevin Smith's style grates on me as well, so I get it!

Jimmy G.
Thunder Beer
a lustrous shine

Post by Thunder Beer »

Nam Tsao";p="841500 wrote:Never heard of it. I'm not big on television programmes anyhow, but this looks interesting (Dexter). I didn't like Buffy or Angel...if this is of the same ilk then I will tire of it quickly.
You should check it out (Dexter). But most of all, you should check out SFU. Trust me, I know tv series.. Ive seen them all:

Sopranos, Deadwood, Entourage, Six Feet Under, Lost, Prison Break, The Shield, The Wire, The Office, Curb, Extras, Seinfeld, Simpsons, Futurama, Oz, Trailer Park Boys, Dexter, Band of Brothers, Twin Peaks, Lonesome Dove, Carnivale, Always Sunny in Philadelphia, Angels in America, Family Business, Ali G show, Taken, Riget, Tenacious D and many many more that I cant think of right now.... All seen during the last two years. These are the ones I still have on my computer.

I have no life!
Mobiesque
confusitron
Missin' Jimmy level: 666

Post by Mobiesque »

good, great, potential, great, title says it all, no intention of seeing, fucking fantastic, I love fontana but it's no Homicide, excellent though I'm over Gervais, dislike, was ok, hated, love, so-so, one of the best shows ever, same again, not seen, not seen, a classic, not seen, quite enjoyed and shouldn't have been axed, not seen, not seen, not seen, the USAAII was excellent, dunno, dunno, dunno.

And I'll raise you: Rome, Homicide, The Larry Sanders Show, Monkey Dust, Big Train, League of Gentlemen, Black Books, Spaced, Jam, I'm Alan Partridge, Da Mighty Boosh, The Day Today, Brass Eye, Nathan Barley, Human Remains, People Like Us, Velvet Soup, Nighty Night, Coupling, Shameless, Green Wing, Man Stroke Woman, State of Play, Ultraviolet.
'the fuck did I do?
Mary Hinge
3% gay

Post by Mary Hinge »

League of Gentlemen and anything with Chris Morris
:love:
hlk
Hopeless fan-boy

Post by hlk »

What, no Battlestar Galactica? Strangers With Candy? Myriad Adult Swim titles?

Jimmy G.
The Rambam
a lustrous shine
Favorite Books: Foucault's Pendulum - Umberto Eco
The Dune Chronicles - Frank Herbert
Favorite Films: The Shawshank Redemption
The Godfather (Parts 1 & 2)
The Big Lebowski
Brazil
Unforgiven
Conspiracy
Favorite TV: The Wire
Deadwood
Rome
30 Rock
Batman: The Brave and the Bold
Justice League/Justice League Unlimited
Invader ZIM

Post by The Rambam »

No Get a Life? :eek:
"Well, they finally did it: They killed my fucking car."
hlk
Hopeless fan-boy

Post by hlk »

Full House??

Jimmy G.