General Arsenal Discussion.

Private forum for football/soccer discussion

Moderators: Eviltoastman, Don Eduardo, lol-o-caust, Rick Cave

Eviltoastman
Part-time Demi-Mod
Favorite Books: .
Missin' Jimmy level: 10

Post by Eviltoastman »

Hmmm. Yet to impress me. Who would we drop? Bapatista, Rosicky and Fabregas occupy that position (Attacking central midfield). Don't rate him at all on the flanks.
Sharppie is my best friend.
judasmuppet
cute as a crackbaby
Missin' Jimmy level: 0

Post by judasmuppet »

An abundance of attacking midfielders crossed my mind also. I thought Rosicky was that same type of player. Also, there seems to be issues between him and Thierry on field from the matches I've seen.

But I enjoyed watching Ribery play at the World Cup.

When is Baptista getting another run? Van Persie's current form is being rated pretty highly here. One guy even suggested he is the best player in Europe at the moment.
Eviltoastman
Part-time Demi-Mod

Post by Eviltoastman »

Henry's attitude on the pitch has been awful since he was made captaib...wel it was bad before, but it's been multiplied since being given the armband. Layren, Reyes, Fabregas, Van Persie, Hleb, Rosicky and Adebayour have all suffered his wrath. Let's not forget his post match interview at the CL final, it was nothing short of embarrassing (regardless of the fact he was right, he sounded conceited and spoiled), something he repeated in his loss against Scotland this week. He needs to be humbled. One thing he said post match after Scotland was that the opportunity he was "gifted" near the end could only be controlled by his hand and that he was never going to do that.

Speaking of Reyes, now not playing under the heat of the Henry spotlamp, the little fucker has robbed David Beckham of his starting place at Real Madrid. I love Reyes. Didn't get enough goals, but the poor bastard had to put up with a nagging bitch of a homesick wife off the field and a nagging bitch of a cenceited bastard on the pitch so his game was bound to suffer.

Baptista is still not fully match fit, so he has been brought on a sub. It's hard to drop Van Persie after his display against Charlton.
judasmuppet
cute as a crackbaby

Post by judasmuppet »

Fuck I wish we had Premier League on free-to-air.
I SINCERELY HOPE YOU CUNTS NEVER BUILD PLANES
lol-o-caust
ask me about my yeast infection

Post by lol-o-caust »

So do we.
Stuff.
Eviltoastman
Part-time Demi-Mod

Post by Eviltoastman »

I'd rather pay for it than have BBC and ITV fuck it up. Speaking of which, my Sky Sports subscription is now officially cheaper than my FORCED BBC subscription. What do I get from the BBC? Strictly Come Dancing. Fuck off.

I feel like waging a violent war against the BEEB.
judasmuppet
cute as a crackbaby

Post by judasmuppet »

We don't have that forced TV license thing here. In the current climate, we definately won't have it enforced, as the government wants to cut the ABC's (BBC-like) funding.
Eviltoastman
Part-time Demi-Mod

Post by Eviltoastman »

From the Times:

Computer tax set to replace TV licence fee
By Adam Sherwin and Dan Sabbagh
THE BBC licence fee should be replaced by a tax on the ownership of a personal computer instead of a television, ministers said yesterday.

Tessa Jowell told the BBC that the licence fee would be retained for at least another ten years until 2017 in return for abolishing the Board of Governors. But the Culture Secretary conceded that technological advances would mean that a fee based on “television ownership could become redundant”.

More than six million households have access to high-speed broadband connections and the BBC has begun experimenting with broadcasting video clips over the internet.

A legal loophole highlighted by the communications regulator Ofcom means that viewers could watch television and listen to radio over the internet and mobile devices free, potentially costing the BBC millions of pounds in licence fees.

The Department for Culture, Media and Sport’s Green Paper setting out the BBC’s long-term future proposed a solution that could end the traditional fee.The paper suggested “either a compulsory levy on all households or even on ownership of PCs as well as TVs”. It said that technology might render it difficult to collect and enforce the fee.

Officially, the Government says that changes would not be needed until 2017, when the next BBC royal charter expires. A spokeswoman for the Department for Culture said that it was not worried for now, but insiders said that the department would act if internet viewing took off.

Over the next few years, internet broadcasting is set to increase rapidly as the quality of the images improves. The BBC already broadcasts all its radio stations over the internet, and began broadcasting live coverage of the Olympic Games last summer. The BBC has promised further internet broadcasts and is launching a hand-held viewing device.

Ofcom predicts that more than half of Britain’s households will be watching television over the internet by 2012. Other emerging technologies will allow television to be broadcast direct to mobile phones. The mobile phone company O2 is planning trials this year, with the aim of a commercial service by 2007.

The publication of the paper was accompanied by a warning from Ms Jowell, who said that the BBC must give higher priority to public-interest programming, and not chase “ratings for rating’s sake”.

The BBC welcomed the reforms, which were widely interpreted as a victory for the Chairman Michael Grade, who said that he was “happy to sign up”, but was “slightly regretful” that the governors would be split in two.
judasmuppet
cute as a crackbaby

Post by judasmuppet »

How much is it currently?

They have this in Sweden as well. People are always regaling tales of avoiding the TV-licence dude on the doorstep, like they're Jehovas or something.
Eviltoastman
Part-time Demi-Mod

Post by Eviltoastman »

£131.50 = BBC Licence fee. Mandatory. Automatic fine for unlicenced homes.
£90.00 = Sky Sport subscription (which includes two other packages for free, except Sky Movies).
Eviltoastman
Part-time Demi-Mod

Post by Eviltoastman »

THEO WALCOTT last night. Watched the U21 game last night, hoping Hoyte would do well but England would lose. Walcott was on the Bench. England were dismal, Germany not much better. A sending off a piece, a missed pen by Germany and it looked like England might go through on the home goal they scored in the first leg.

73rd min, brought Walcott on to score two absolute crackers. Looked online for the goals but they're not there yet, but all I can say is he looks (at least finishing and pace wise) an Henry identicate.

First goal, he found space about thirty-five yards out, clever ball over the top to Walcott in space thirty-five yards out, ran at the keeper, cool finish, wasn't blasted.

Second, he was one on the left flank with their right back, chipped it ahead of him and just left him in his wake. He has toi be faster than Henry. Into the box, defenders had no chance, opened up his body just like Henry and found the net. Beautiful.

Exciting player.
Rick Cave
cute as a crackbaby

Post by Rick Cave »

Clichy looked very strong againsy Watford.

What's your dream back four at the moment, Buckley?
I'd like Toure,Gallas,Senderos & Clichy.

Rosicky it is brutal. His near goals are damn near exciting as real ones.
Henry was class in my opinion. He had that third goal but let Adebayour take it.
Depressed beyond tablets
judasmuppet
cute as a crackbaby

Post by judasmuppet »

Just to break the flow again re: TV licenses:

Second Swedish minister resigns
Published: 16th October 2006 11:16 CET

Cecilia Stegö Chilò has resigned as Sweden's culture minister. After a week of intense media pressure following revelations about her private finances, Stegö Chilò handed in her letter of resignation to prime minister Fredrik Reinfeldt on Monday morning.

"By not paying my television licence fee and employing black market domestic help in the period before becoming minister, I have committed errors which are not acceptable, but which I have attempted to rectify as far as possible," wrote Stegö Chilò in a statement.

Just a day after her appointment in Fredrik Reinfeldt's cabinet, it emerged that Stegö Chilò had not paid employer's tax for nannies she had used when her children were small.

In response she said she "knew it would crop up" but remained defiant - perhaps because tax breaks on home help is one of the policies of the new government.

A few days later a misdemeanour was revealed which proved to be far more politically damaging. Cecilia Stegö Chilò neglected to pay her television licence fee for the last 16 years, meaning that she has withheld at least 15,000 kronor from public service broadcaster Sveriges Television (SVT).

The culture minister is responsible for the entire public service broadcasting sector, which includes SVT. Just five days before she became a member of the new cabinet Stegö Chilò's husband registered television ownership for the first time.

Following the resignation of her ministerial colleague Maria Borelius on Saturday, the media focus shifted to Cecilia Stegö Chilò and Sunday's leader writers almost unanimously called for her to quit.

On Monday she capitulated.

"Since it will not be possible to rectify the situation within a reasonable period of time I no longer see any possibility of repairing the damage I have caused the government," she wrote.

The Local spoke to Stegö Chilò's press secretary, Carl Johan Swanson.

"We have nothing to add to the statement," he said.
Eviltoastman
Part-time Demi-Mod

Post by Eviltoastman »

Dream back four out who we have. RB - Lauren/Gilbert. CB - Gallas and Toure. LB - Clichy.
judasmuppet
cute as a crackbaby

Post by judasmuppet »

Wow. Febregas signed on for eight years!?
Rick Cave
cute as a crackbaby

Post by Rick Cave »

He'll only be 28.
He can still have a career in Spain if he wants to.
Depressed beyond tablets
judasmuppet
cute as a crackbaby

Post by judasmuppet »

It says a lot about the club, Wenger, and the Cashley saga, doesn't it?
Rick Cave
cute as a crackbaby

Post by Rick Cave »

Cashley is a twat.
That's what it tells me.
He's at the perfect club.
Depressed beyond tablets
judasmuppet
cute as a crackbaby

Post by judasmuppet »

Are there any other notable names (recent) who have been busting a gut to get out Highbury other than him?
Rick Cave
cute as a crackbaby

Post by Rick Cave »

Not that I've heard.
Depressed beyond tablets
judasmuppet
cute as a crackbaby

Post by judasmuppet »

There's not even a wikipedia page dedicated to the subject.
judasmuppet
cute as a crackbaby

Post by judasmuppet »

There is this though:
Wikipedia wrote:Cole started his career at Arsenal as a faget, and signed as a professional on February 25, 2000. He had made his debut for the first team as a faget on November 30, 1999 against Middlesbrough at the age of 18, although this was his only appearance of that season.
Rick Cave
cute as a crackbaby

Post by Rick Cave »

Obviously impartial.
Depressed beyond tablets
Eviltoastman
Part-time Demi-Mod

Post by Eviltoastman »

I see Wenger's writing skillz have improved.
Rick Cave
cute as a crackbaby

Post by Rick Cave »

Did you see Henry's video at reebok.com?
He thinks in English first now.
Depressed beyond tablets