None of Them Knew They Were Robots Cover

General music discussion, not limited to a particular artist or genre
Toddowhams

None of Them Knew They Were Robots Cover

Post by Toddowhams »

For those of you on the East Coast fixin' for some live Bungle material Boston-based Strange Changes has been adding Bungle covers to their repertoire... check out this NOTKTWR cover!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=biJ08GaHwtA
GoatOvaries
3% gay
Missin' Jimmy level: 0

Re: None of Them Knew They Were Robots Cover

Post by GoatOvaries »

Not bad, the vocals kind of suck, but hard to separate from from the original performance. Band is tight. Second only to Shanghai and Incubus.
Seth Putnam Was Wrong About a Lot of Things, But Seth Putnam Was Right About You

Post by Guest »

GoatOvaries wrote:Not bad, the vocals kind of suck, but hard to separate from from the original performance. Band is tight. Second only to Shanghai and Incubus.
Full disclosure: I am the sucky vocalist. I am not Mike Patton. I think both Mike and Bungle in general struggled to get California to sound right live, the arrangements are just so fuckin' huge.... that being said he's a much better metal/experimental singer than I and he has a huge rack of effects which he's mastered. I plan on adding that shit eventually, but right now my rather large band is cramming onto such small stages it's a luxury I can't afford. We may do a studio demo version of this later this year where we can really get the samples/vox fx nailed down.
GoatOvaries
3% gay

Post by GoatOvaries »

Guest wrote:
GoatOvaries wrote:Not bad, the vocals kind of suck, but hard to separate from from the original performance. Band is tight. Second only to Shanghai and Incubus.
Full disclosure: I am the sucky vocalist. I am not Mike Patton. I think both Mike and Bungle in general struggled to get California to sound right live, the arrangements are just so fuckin' huge.... that being said he's a much better metal/experimental singer than I and he has a huge rack of effects which he's mastered. I plan on adding that shit eventually, but right now my rather large band is cramming onto such small stages it's a luxury I can't afford. We may do a studio demo version of this later this year where we can really get the samples/vox fx nailed down.
Don't feel bad, what I meant was that musically it was a very good cover. Vocally it wasn't offensive, but Mike Patton is a tough act to follow, no matter how many fancy tools you have. Enough effects and you will sound like Gibby Haynes or Chris Connelly/Al Jourgenson. Cool song to cover. Alot more bold than something off the first album which is what I mostly see covered.
Seth Putnam Was Wrong About a Lot of Things, But Seth Putnam Was Right About You
Hitman
poofy
Missin' Jimmy level: 69

Post by Hitman »

Great cover! Way better than Mr Bungle themselves could ever manage...honestly...

Post by Guest »

Thanks guys! GoatOvaries - no worries, if you can't take criticism don't put your shit on the internet! And it is a fair criticism.

Hitman - def agree Bungle's live version of this was a little weak. I listened to the Bizarre Fest version on YouTube and the SnoCore bootleg a lot while transcribing the song. The live band was using guitar/bass/drums/vox/percussion/keys doubling tenor sax. That's a pretty good lineup to do a tune like Sweet Charity live but for Bots I think they would have been much better off with a 2nd guitar and some brass players. I wonder if they ran out of gas partially because California really requires a whole orchestra to do right live.... must have been frustrating once they got out on the road.

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:Thanks guys! GoatOvaries - no worries, if you can't take criticism don't put your shit on the internet! And it is a fair criticism.

Hitman - def agree Bungle's live version of this was a little weak. I listened to the Bizarre Fest version on YouTube and the SnoCore bootleg a lot while transcribing the song. The live band was using guitar/bass/drums/vox/percussion/keys doubling tenor sax. That's a pretty good lineup to do a tune like Sweet Charity live but for Bots I think they would have been much better off with a 2nd guitar and some brass players. I wonder if they ran out of gas partially because California really requires a whole orchestra to do right live.... must have been frustrating once they got out on the road.
Which Sno Core bootleg? sHitman is just pissed off the band dissed his punk ass and wouldn't sign his shitty record.

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:Thanks guys! GoatOvaries - no worries, if you can't take criticism don't put your shit on the internet! And it is a fair criticism.

Which Sno Core bootleg? sHitman is just pissed off the band dissed his punk ass and wouldn't sign his shitty record.

Sno Core 2000... really interesting version, they vary the tempo quite a bit between sections, and the synth parts/samples are a lot more audible than the Bizarre video that's up...
Hitman
poofy

Post by Hitman »

Guest wrote:I wonder if they ran out of gas partially because California really requires a whole orchestra to do right live.... must have been frustrating once they got out on the road.
I reckon there was a bit of that...

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:

Sno Core 2000... really interesting version, they vary the tempo quite a bit between sections, and the synth parts/samples are a lot more audible than the Bizarre video that's up...

So.... maybe one of these?

20000118 - Tempe, AZ
20000119 - Ventura, CA (soundboard)
20000122 - San Francisco, CA
20000202 - Minneapolis, MN (soundboard)
20000213 - Rochester, NY (soundboard)
20000226 - Myrtle Beach, SC

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:

So.... maybe one of these?

20000118 - Tempe, AZ
20000119 - Ventura, CA (soundboard)
20000122 - San Francisco, CA
20000202 - Minneapolis, MN (soundboard)
20000213 - Rochester, NY (soundboard)
20000226 - Myrtle Beach, SC

Could have been any of these I guess, although the fact that the samples/keys are louder than the guitars could mean it was soundboard audio....
Carcharodon carcharias
π

Post by Carcharodon carcharias »

I think you guys did a great job! No one should be comparing voices here. Patton's is unique and I would think less if you tried to mimic him. It stands to reason that the important thing is y'all did it and I'm sure you enjoyed doing so.
areolament booger wrote:I recall eating pickled pigs' feet as a child.
I especially loved they way they made my entire face, head, and neck pucker :mad:

Post by Guest »

Carcharodon carcharias wrote:I think you guys did a great job!
Ass kissing Bitch!

Post by Guest »

With that kind of video production (even the band you're covering NEVER, EVER had anything remotely like that) you don't even really need to hear it, but...it's VERY fucking GOOD. Wow!
Carcharodon carcharias
π

Post by Carcharodon carcharias »

Nobody wrote:
Carcharodon carcharias wrote:I think you guys did a great job!
Ass kissing Bitch!
It was critique, however, I have been known to kiss bitches' asses and a few other carnal acts, punk.
areolament booger wrote:I recall eating pickled pigs' feet as a child.
I especially loved they way they made my entire face, head, and neck pucker :mad:

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:With that kind of video production (even the band you're covering NEVER, EVER had anything remotely like that) you don't even really need to hear it, but...it's VERY fucking GOOD. Wow!
Funny to think about.... even as a national touring act on a major label, the quality of the video they got was so terrible by today's standards. My band is broke as fuck, but technology has come a long way in 12 years.....

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:With that kind of video production (even the band you're covering NEVER, EVER had anything remotely like that) you don't even really need to hear it, but...it's VERY fucking GOOD. Wow!
Funny to think about.... even as a national touring act on a major label, the quality of the video they got was so terrible by today's standards. My band is broke as fuck, but technology has come a long way in 12 years.....
It's not doing hitman any good.
makemesick
opulent otter

Post by makemesick »

GoatOvaries wrote: Enough effects and you will sound like Gibby Haynes or Chris Connelly/Al Jourgenson.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks, made my day
earthling? wrote:please don't bother me here again.
any further botherment from you will be regarded as a THREAT and dealt with as such.
BABY SHAKER
bigger softer russier!

Post by BABY SHAKER »

Hitman wrote:Way better than Mr Bungle themselves could ever manage...honestly...
:shock:... but how could... :? ..... :lol:
BABY SHAKER
bigger softer russier!

Post by BABY SHAKER »

^^^

!!!

???

:nod:
Toddowhams

Post by Toddowhams »

....and another. This time a spazz-jazz arrangement of The Dillinger Escape Plan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4-erceTpc8
Hitman
poofy

Post by Hitman »

Guest wrote: 16 Jul 2013, 12:18 Hitman is just pissed off the band dissed his punk ass and wouldn't sign his shitty record.
What?