beans on toast ?

Private forum where members of The Über Groupie Recipe Congregation user group can share recipes

Moderators: refs unsheep, ChickenMug

General Tso s Chicken
bigger softer russier!
Missin' Jimmy level: 0

beans on toast ?

Post by General Tso s Chicken »

exterminate exterminate .

http://easyweb.easynet.co.uk/~niall/wav ... termin.wav

http://easyweb.easynet.co.uk/~niall/wav ... termin.wav

member that sid and nancy movie , thats what they were eating in that scene , wasnt it ?

i have yet to try this delicacy . although my mom used to make this S.O.S. she called "welsh rabbit" then she would tell me it was really called "welsh rarebit" cause it was rare that you found a bit of meat in this meal .
this lead into a story about how the hunter was from wales and he was such a horrible alcoholic he went out hunting for their dinner and only ketched a buzz . so the poor sober welsh mammy had to make dinner with flour and water . (you can see where i get it , thanks mom)
welsh rarebit is also served on toast . i believe it is a rudimentary white sauce , but in reality the actual recipe was , put some flour in a pan , add water , heat stir , spoon over toast , serves 8 - 10 . if you dont have any flour , pour some glue on the toast . horrible rarebit . this was always served when out 375 lb father was out of town on bidniss . my mom can really stretch a dollar , my folks were loaded , but i went to grade school in september with zmass cookies in my lunch , every year ! (leftover 9 months old cookies) .

anyway ever since watching sid and nancy i have been very curios about this beans on toast , in my mind it would ultimatley have to go something like this , drink low grade high potency beer all night , vomit , piss ones self , go thru hangover period for about 2 hours . consume beans on toast , with ice cold brute champagne . burp , fart , inject large dose of heroin , yer set , you have just experienced the ultimate beans on toast breakfast to the fullest.

being from chicago , this entire concept of beans on toast seems extremely appealing , but also shrouded in much mystery . i mean you cant seriously just pour some generic bake beans on dry toast i mean you could , but , , , would that produce the desired effect (EXTERMINATE EXTERMINATE) .

i pose these questions to you my wiser more worldy euro-bean cousins :

what is the ultimate beans on toast recipe ?

i would imagine , cheese , carrots , chilis , peppers onions etc , but what sort of cheese , measurements ? i am a stickler for quantitys , the first time i make a dish that is so alien .

is it a breakfast only?

what do you drink with it ?

is the heroin really necessary ?

what excactly is it about cans of beans and brits ? i read that ringo starr jammed his suitcase full of them when harrison made them go to india , and he also fled the country imediately after consuming the last can !

is it only brits or do other NON YANKS thrive on this sos .

i have a can of campbells baked beans , a loaf of white bread waiting for your further wisdom and guidance .

+

=

http://easyweb.easynet.co.uk/~niall/wav ... trmnte.wav
the finished product is just the garbage left over from doing the work.
Grotocult
cute as a crackbaby

Re: beans on toast ?

Post by Grotocult »

No recipe, just the can you mention and the toast. You could drink a glass of milk or apple juice, or a cup of tea, whatever. You would eat this for "tea", so somewhere around 5-7pm.
General Tso s Chicken
bigger softer russier!

Post by General Tso s Chicken »

tried it , it was really a let down .

i had been up drinking for 2 days , but i didnt have heroin or champagne , so i think i need a better recipe .
the finished product is just the garbage left over from doing the work.
Eviltoastman
Part-time Demi-Mod
Favorite Books: .
Missin' Jimmy level: 10

Post by Eviltoastman »

Rarebit includes quite a lot of mature cheddar, ale and mustard. Search the usergroup for a good recipe. Rarebit is really good with a decent tomato chutney/jam.

Beans and toast is just a lazy snack if you ask me.

Best format.

Thick slices of fresh bread (bread made with real yeast and no emulsifier), salted welsh/english butter spread upon each slice. Cointinental and American butter is ok, but not great.

The beans should be brought to the boil and then simmered so the beans start to lose a bit of their consistency, you must add a small bit of butter and white pepper to taste while cooking. You have to eat it with strong mug of white tea to hand with sugar to taste.
Sharppie is my best friend.
Grotocult
cute as a crackbaby

Post by Grotocult »

I really tried to get a can of Curried Baked Beans while I was in the UK but it didn't happen. Hopefully next time.
Eviltoastman
Part-time Demi-Mod

Post by Eviltoastman »

They're awful. Seriously, refrain. Just adda bit of chili powder and garumk to your normal beans and you'll have it. :(
Grotocult
cute as a crackbaby

Post by Grotocult »

Garumk? On the internet I find: Garum, similar to liquamen, was a type of fermented fish sauce condiment that was an essential flavour in Ancient Roman cooking...
is this what you mean?
Eviltoastman
Part-time Demi-Mod

Post by Eviltoastman »

Garam masala.