Red Curry Shrimp

Private forum where members of The Über Groupie Recipe Congregation user group can share recipes

Moderators: refs unsheep, ChickenMug

hlk
Hopeless fan-boy
Missin' Jimmy level: 11
Twitter: https://twitter.com/hlk

Red Curry Shrimp

Post by hlk »

Red Curry Shrimp

Recipe straight outta Bon Appetit, & fancy schmancy photos by me:

1 T red curry paste
1 13.5-oz. can unsweetened coconut milk
1 8-oz. bottle clam juice
1 1/4 lbs. uncooked large shrimp, peeled & deveined
1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1 lime, cut into 8 wedges

Stir red curry paste in large skillet over medium-high heat until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add coconut milk and clam juice and bring to boil, whisking until paste dissolves.

Boil until sauce is thick enough to coat spoon, about 7 minutes. Add shrimp to sauce.

Cook until shrimp turn pink and are just opaque in the center, turning occasionally, about 4 minutes.

Stir in cilantro. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Divide shrimp and sauce among 4 shallow bowels. Garnish with lime wedges and serve.

Voila.

I like to season with fish sauce instead of salt, and serve over some jasmine rice. Very tasty, easy, and quick.
Last edited by hlk on 26 Apr 2005, 18:46, edited 2 times in total.
Michelle
cute as a crackbaby
Missin' Jimmy level: 0

Re: Red Curry Shrimp

Post by Michelle »

*drool*
that looks great heather!
i dont understand everything that is being described
here but ones i do i will try it out for sure!
oink oink
drusophila melanogaster
welcome back ricotta!

Post by drusophila melanogaster »

i love shrimp
but i can't eat it anymore since the monterey bay aquarium guilted me about it
Michelle
cute as a crackbaby

Post by Michelle »

not even secretly?

i wont tell.
oink oink
refs unsheep
bigger softer russier!

Post by refs unsheep »

bottled clam juice ?? never heard of that... is that to replace the fish sauce ?? i also put kaffir lime leaves, palm sugar & lemongrass in my curries....
Peanutbutter";p="533662 wrote:hes talking about me folks!...i have a small penis!...look at me!, im small penis man!!!
drusophila melanogaster
welcome back ricotta!

Wildlife Britain urges you to think twice before buying prawns in the future. Traditionally, a plea like this would be made for the survival of the species concerned, but in this case, things are a little different.

Prawn trawlers catch 10-20 kg of marine species to obtain just 1 kg of prawns in the tropics. That means that up to 20 kg of other marine animals such as fish, sea snakes, turtles, and sea horses, are caught at the same time. This non-target 'bycatch' is usually discarded, dead or dying, overboard. Just for 1 kg of prawns.

Prawn fisheries alone are responsible for one third of the world's discarded catch, despite producing less than 2% of global seafood. Local fish stocks and fishing grounds are heavily impacted, and catches have declined sharply in areas where trawlers operate. Furthermore, 150,000 sea turtles are killed by prawn trawlers every year, and prawn trawling is thought to be the greatest threat to seahorses. Research has shown that up to 25% of seabed life can be removed by the pass of just one prawn trawl.

Prawns/shrimps are small 'crustaceans' (like crabs and lobsters) found in both marine and fresh water environments around the world. Two main groups of prawn are produced commercially: the smaller varieties come mainly from temperate waters, whereas larger prawns are generally found in the tropics. The distinction between prawns and shrimps can be confusing. In some countries the bigger species are referred to as 'prawns' and smaller species as 'shrimp'. In other parts of the world (such as some areas of the USA), this differentiation is the other way around.

The Environmental Justice Foundation (a UK-based non-profit organisation that works to protect the natural environment and the people and wildlife that depend upon it) is calling for all supermarkets to prove their prawns come from environmentally and socially sustainable sources, urging consumers not to buy any prawns until this is done.

'Currently 70% of the world's fisheries are fully or overexploited and leading scientists agree that it is fishing - rather than global warming or pollution - that poses the greatest near-term threat to marine biodiversity', says Steve Trent, Director of EJF. Recent reports of overfishing and declines in fish stocks have begun to shatter the illusion that the seas are a limitless, inexhaustible resource. Yet few people are currently aware that prawn trawling is one of the most destructive and wasteful fisheries of all. 'This waste, to feed a luxury market here in the UK and other developed nations, is totally unacceptable when so many in poorer countries are going hungry. Just how much is the rest of the world paying for our prawn sandwiches?' says Trent.

Trawling is a 'catch-all' technique. Trawlers capture approximately three million tonnes of prawns every year from countries as diverse as Greenland, Venezuela and Mozambique. Vessels not only catch high-value prawns, but also hundreds of other 'bycatch' species that are usually discarded back into the sea. It is not uncommon to find that 10, or even 20 kg, of marine organisms are caught in order to obtain 1 kg of prawns. For species such as sea turtles and seahorses, prawn trawling represents the greatest threat to their survival. A staggering 150,000 sea turtles are killed in prawn trawlers every year. Trawl nets dragged along the seabed profoundly degrade marine habitats. This degradation of the ocean floor has been compared by scientists to the destruction of the world's forests.

Local fish stocks and fishing grounds are also affected and catches have declined sharply in areas where trawlers operate. Prawn trawlers are not always locally owned. Hundreds of foreign vessels exploit prawn stocks of developing countries, illegally or through fisheries agreements, discarding 'unwanted' fish that could have fed coastal communities. 'For the 450 million people reliant on fisheries as a source of food and income, fish is a necessity. Prawn fisheries are directly compromising food security as well as furthering the demise of endangered marine species' said Annabelle Aish of EJF. In many cases these foreign trawlers are heavily subsidised: some EU fleets are underwritten by almost 50% to trawl for prawns in African waters.

The UN Environment Programme, Global Environment Facility and UN Food and Agricultural Organisation have all stated that many prawn fisheries are presently unsustainable and advocate changes to current patterns of exploitation. 'Harmful fishing subsidies and exploitative fisheries agreements with developing nations completely undermine the sustainable use of the oceans and need to be addressed immediately' said Aish. EJF calls for the greater implementation of existing international treaties on responsible fisheries management. EJF also calls for an independent, internationally-recognised system of certification and monitoring for prawn production.

The EU is the largest importer of prawns globally; 378,375 MT (metric tons) were imported in 2000. The UK was the third greatest importer of prawns within the EU in 2000. In 2000, the UK landed 2100 MT of prawns. In the same year, the UK imported 77,900 MT of prawns (fished and farmed) worth US$540 million. Domestic production (trawled prawns) typically accounts for 2-3% of consumption in the UK. Iceland, India, Thailand, Bangladesh, Norway and Indonesia are all major exporters of prawns to the UK.

Prawn trawling is threatening food security in some of the world's poorest countries. In Africa, prawn trawlers from several different countries (including EU nations) come to take advantage of the (previously) abundant waters. Trawling occurs over sensitive ecosystems, reduces local fish stocks and destroys fishing gears of subsistence fishermen. This loss of livelihood and food is unacceptable.

Many governments maintain unprofitable prawn trawling fleets. It is estimated that an annual total of $76 - $80 billion is spent on fishing subsidies globally. Ultimately, this leads to over-exploitation: prawn-fishing fleets are not reduced in size as their catches decrease.

Trawling has always been a controversial fishing technique. As early as the 14th century there were protests in Europe over its potential effects on the seabed and creatures living there. Sophisticated trawling equipment and navigation systems have been developed to supply prawns to growing markets. This, in turn, has ensured that no potentially productive areas are left untrawled.

Some prawn trawlers target deep-sea bottoms, others prefer very shallow coastal waters of 10-60 m depth. All have impacts on the seabed by degrading vital marine habitats.

In most countries, prawn stocks are declining under heavy fishing pressure. Yet, fishermen continue to trawl for prawns harder than ever in an attempt to overcome low catches, rising fishing costs and competition from prawn farmers. This results in the severe over-exploitation of marine ecosystems.

Prawn farming (aquaculture) is not a sustainable alternative to prawn trawling. In fact, prawn aquaculture is responsible for equally devastating environmental destruction and human rights abuses.

To read the EJF's full report, please visit www.ejfoundation.org/pdfs/squandering_the_seas.pdf.

Sainsbury's response to Wildlife Britain regarding this issue extended only as far as to point out that counter-sold fish are identified by their country of capture, that they believe their farmed fish and shellfish are "from sustainable sources" and that cold-water prawns are sourced from Iceland and Canada under "a very strict quota system." However, this statement does not address any of the issues regarding the method of capture, the issue of bycatch, over-trawling, or marine habitat damage.

None of the other UK supermarkets were prepared to make a statement to Wildlife Britain.
hlk
Hopeless fan-boy
Missin' Jimmy level: 11
Twitter: https://twitter.com/hlk

Post by hlk »

I don't care about any of that crap as long as *I* get to eat shrimp, or anything else for that matter.

Clam juice is way different than fish sauce. The recipe calls for salt instead of fish sauce, just to keep things simple I think. I use fish sauce, and your additions would also be very good.
Saddam Disney wrote:Hey. Listen, I really apologize for all the things I said about you. I never met them. I think you are cute actually.

Would you please get rid of the hall of flame? Obviously anyone who was interested in it had more than ample time to read it now. I'm just really trying to foregt about that piece of shit Denise as much as possible. And I think it is pretty much juvenile keeping it up. Will you please forgive me and take it down? I'd really appreciate it. Please let me know. Thanks a lot. Happy Holidays, take care, peace!

Jimmy G.
drusophila melanogaster
welcome back ricotta!

impeach clinton
12 galaxies guiltied to vengatronic rocket societies

clam juice is when it's healthy
fish sauce is when you need to worry
lynnjen/mod/skyr
ask me about my yeast infection

Post by lynnjen/mod/skyr »

circular logic
Michelle
cute as a crackbaby

Post by Michelle »

"The Environmental Justice Foundation (a UK-based non-profit organisation that works to protect the natural environment and the people and wildlife that depend upon it) is calling for all supermarkets to prove their prawns come from environmentally and socially sustainable sources, urging consumers not to buy any prawns until this is done"

last time i looked i havent noticed anything like this that proves
it comes from a save catch, while with all the shit that is going on these
days it should be logicall to label these as such. bunch of idiots!!
oink oink
drusophila melanogaster
welcome back ricotta!

just so you know
i'm not trying to convince anyone anything one way or another
just throwing out info
if "engangered species" stuff matters to you, then you can consider this
if "health" matters to you, consider the other stuff

but do what you want
don't take my posts as attempted guilt trips or political agendas
it's just info
true or not?
who knows
lynnjen/mod/skyr
ask me about my yeast infection

Post by lynnjen/mod/skyr »

Much less judgemental than me. I don't say stuff, but I think it.
Michelle
cute as a crackbaby

Post by Michelle »

jermajesty";p="163785 wrote:just so you know
i'm not trying to convince anyone anything one way or another
just throwing out info
if "engangered species" stuff matters to you, then you can consider this
if "health" matters to you, consider the other stuff

but do what you want
don't take my posts as attempted guilt trips or political agendas
it's just info
true or not?
who knows
i think its very important for people to be aware of these things.
we all know the world is fucked up and people seem like to hide their
heads in the sand just so they can continue to fuck up.

anyways, i'm glad to know about this...
thanks!
oink oink
refs unsheep
bigger softer russier!

Post by refs unsheep »

all the good stuff is on the endangered species list...
but thats life for you. one day you exist, the next day you dont. its been like that for the last oh 3 billion years ??
Peanutbutter";p="533662 wrote:hes talking about me folks!...i have a small penis!...look at me!, im small penis man!!!