VEGETABLE PATE with VELVET SAUCE

Private forum where members of The Über Groupie Recipe Congregation user group can share recipes

Moderators: refs unsheep, ChickenMug

drusophila melanogaster
welcome back ricotta!
Missin' Jimmy level: 0

VEGETABLE PATE with VELVET SAUCE

Post by drusophila melanogaster »

serves 8

This meat-free pate is ten times more nutritious than a classic pate or meat loaf. The beans give it a hearty character, while the sauce melts on your tongue. It is wonderful served hot or cold, and is great left-over for sandwiches.

We suggest that you double this recipe. Once all the basic ingredients have been mixed, divide the pate in half. Add the tomatoes to one half as indicated below under the pate variation. Use three 8"x8" baking pans. Prepare one pate in one baking pan as indicated in the basic recipe below, reserving 1/3 of the mixture for another pan. Prepare the second one with the tomatoes, again reserving 1/3 of the pate for the third layered pan. In the third baking pan, spread the remaining 1/3 pate from the basic recipe into the pan. Sandwich a layer of fresh steamed greens onto the pate and top them with the 1/3 remaining tomato pate.
2 cups lentils
1 cup soybeans, soaked overnight
1 3" x 3" piece kombu, chopped
1/2 lb kale
5 cups vegetable broth
6 egg whites
1 12 oz can evaporated skim milk
2 cups all bran cereal, any unsweetened brand
2/3 cup wheat germ
2/3 cup rolled oats
8 medium carrots, grated
1 large onion, chopped
1 tblsp worchester sauce
1 tblsp dill
1 tsp black pepper
canola oil cooking spray
Sauce Velvet:
1/4 cup tahini
1/4 cup water
2 cloves garlic
2 tblsp brown rice vinegar
1 tblsp low sodium soy sauce
1 tblsp lemon juice
1 cake (10 oz) soft tofu
white pepper
salt to taste
Preparation: Preheat oven to 350.

Fill a large saucepan with the vegetable broth and bring to a boil. Add the soybeans and cook, covered, over a low heat for 20 minutes. Add the kombu and lentils, and continue to cook for another 15 minutes. Add the kale and cook for a final 15 minutes. Check the beans and cook a little longer if necessary. The soybeans should be a little crunchy. Remove from heat and set aside.

In a food processor, blend the bran cereal into a bread crumb consistency. Mix with the wheat germ and rolled oats.

Lightly whip the egg whites with a fork.

In a large bowl, mix all ingredients together. Spice according to your taste, adding extra pepper or dill.

Spray a decorative baking mold or a 9" x 12" baking pan with canola oil. Firmly press the pate into place. It will be a good 3" high. Bake for 35 to 45 minutes, until firm but not dry.

If you are eating the pate hot from the oven, serve with warm Sauce Velvet and a simple cooked grain. If you are eating the pate chilled, serve with chilled Sauce Velvet (or ketchup) and a smooth-textured, soft whole wheat bread.
Variation: Add 3 chopped tomatos or 1 cup canned chopped tomato and 3 minced cloves of garlic to the basic recipe.
Sauce Velvet:

In a blender or food processor blend or process the first six ingredients until smooth. Add the soft tofu, and blend briefly. Transfer to a small sauce pan. Add white pepper, and salt to taste. The white pepper preserves the ivory color of the sauce. Heat briefly and serve. This Sauce Velvet is delicious chilled, serves on chilled pate.
• (Per serving, including Sauce Velvet: Calories 492, Fat 14%, Protein 25%, Carb. 60%, 1 mg Choles.)
Nam Tsao
not very out-and-about-y

Re: VEGETABLE PATE with VELVET SAUCE

Post by Nam Tsao »

This looks fantastic.
"I've been in a bad mood since 1998" - Me.
drusophila melanogaster
welcome back ricotta!

Post by drusophila melanogaster »

don't feel surprised if you follow the directions
and think "this is for 8? i can eat twice this much"
it's a cr recipe...
Nam Tsao
not very out-and-about-y

Post by Nam Tsao »

cr?
Nam Tsao
not very out-and-about-y

Post by Nam Tsao »

Damned. Worcester sauce isn't vegetarian :(
Teddy Ruxpin

Post by Teddy Ruxpin »

Velvet sauce...never heard of.