Indan food. The worlds best cuisine?

Private forum where members of The Über Groupie Recipe Congregation user group can share recipes

Moderators: refs unsheep, ChickenMug

Redundant Retard
3% gay
Missin' Jimmy level: 0

Indan food. The worlds best cuisine?

Post by Redundant Retard »

I simply love indian food, so I'll compile a menu for you here. :)

First, the side dishes.

Nan bread

3 1/2 cups flour (Maida)
1/2 cup yogurt
1 egg
1/4 cup butter
2 tsp. salt
3 tsp. sugar
3/4 cup water
1 2/3 Tbls. yeast (dried)

1. In a dish, take 5 Tbls. of water, add the yeast and a teaspoon of sugar and stir well. Keep aside for 10-12 minutes. (You will see bubbles on the surface of the mixture which suggests that the yeast is all right). Now, add in the remaining water, sugar, yogurt, egg, butter, and salt. Stir well.

2. Add the flour to this liquid and make into a smooth, soft, and elastic dough. (It will take about 10-15 minutes). Take a warm bowl, butter all the sides and the bottom of the bowl then place the dough in the bowl, cover with a cloth and keep in a warm place until the dough doubles in height (about 40 minutes). Push a finger into the dough. If the impression remains, then it is ready to be baked. Make the dough into 8 equal balls, flatten them into circles with your fingers such that the edges are thicker than the center. Pull one end of the circle so that the dough circle now looks like a tear drop or a balloon in two dimensions. The length is about a handspan and width about a palm.

3. Heat oven to 450F, and on a non-greased baking tray, place the dough. Bake for 10 minutes or until golden brown.
GoatOvaries wrote:No. It is none of your business what I like. It's only your business what I choose to make public, which is what I don't like.
Redundant Retard
3% gay

Raita (Boondi)

2 Cups Curd (Yogurt)
100 gms Gram flour(Besan)
1/2tsp Roasted Cumin(jeera) powder
salt to taste
Red chili powder to taste
very little garam masala
Finely Chopped coriander leaves
Oil to fry

Preparation:

Add water to gram flour and mix well to spreading consistency.
Add salt & beat till becomes light. Heat oil & pass the paste through draining spoon. Fry till golden & crisp.
Stir the curd with hand mixer(mathani).
Add boondi and mix gently. If it becomes thick add little milk and mix it.
Now add salt, cumin powder and chili powder, mix well.
Sprinkle garam masala and garnish with chopped coriander.
Keep in refrigerator for an hour or so.
Serve boondi raita chilled.
GoatOvaries wrote:No. It is none of your business what I like. It's only your business what I choose to make public, which is what I don't like.
Redundant Retard
3% gay

Mango Chutney

1/2 kg mango, peeled and coarsely chopped
1 cup raisins
1 cup sugar
3/4 cup vinegar
250 gms ginger finely chopped
1 clove garlic, chopped
1 tsp salt

How to make indian mango chutney:

Mix all ingredients and give the mixture to boiling. Reduce the heat and simmer for about 45 minutes
Till the mixture thickens.
Served room tempered.
Redundant Retard
3% gay

Baigan Bhartha (Vegetarian dish w eggplant)

Eggplant (medium size) 1
Cooked green peas 1/2 cup
Finely chopped onions 1
Finely chopped tomatoes 1
Finely chopped green chilli 1
Red chilli powder 1/2 tsp.
Garam Masala Powder 1/2 tsp.
Turmeric Powder 1/4 tsp.
Vegetable oil 3 tbsp.
Salt to taste
Chopped green coriander leaves for garnishing

Method:
1. Brush eggplant with oil and roast it on a gas burner over medium heat.
2. Frequently turn the eggplant upside down, until fully roasted.
3. Once done, hold it under cold running water or in a bowl full of water. Cool it and peel off the blackened skin.
4. Mash the flesh.
5. Heat oil in a pan / kadhai . Add green chilli and onion and fry over medium heat until light golden brown.
6. Add red chilli powder, turmeric powder, garam masala and salt and stir. Add tomatoes and cook until tender.
7. Add green peas and mashed eggplant. Stir well. Fry for 5-7 minutes over medium heat.

Garnish with green coriander leaves and serve hot.
Redundant Retard
3% gay

Carrot Rice

Basmati Rice Cooked 2 cup
Grated carrot 1 cup
Thinly sliced onions 1 medium size
Thinly sliced green chilli 2
Mustard seeds 1 tsp.
Cumin seeds 1 tsp.
Bay leaf 1-2
Curry leaves 8-10
Red chilli powder 1 tsp.
Turmeric powder 1/2 tsp.
Garam Masala Powder 1/2 tsp
Chopped Coriander leaves 2 tbsp
Salt to taste
Vegetable oil 2 tbsp.

Method:
1. Heat oil in a deep frying pan or kadhai.
2. Add mustard seeds. When the mustard seeds start crackling add cumin seeds and bay leaf. Add thinly sliced onions, green chillies and fry till pink. Keep this aside.
3. Add thinly sliced onions, green chillies and fry till pink.
4. Add grated carrot and curry leaves. Saute for a while and then add salt, chili powder, turmeric powder and garam masala.
5. Add cooked rice and gently mix well. Cover the pan and cook on a low flame for about 3-4 minutes.

Carrot Rice is ready to serve. Decorate with chopped green coriander leaves.
Redundant Retard
3% gay

Yeah, I know, I've only copied and pasted from different websites. But I couldn't be bothered writing down my own recipes (lazy bitch).

Still, even though it takes some time making so "many" dishes, it could give you one of your finest dinner experiences in some time.

Enjoy.
judasmuppet
cute as a crackbaby

Post by judasmuppet »

Nice recipes. Have you tried them yourself?

BTW, Chinese it technically better than Indian. More variety.
I SINCERELY HOPE YOU CUNTS NEVER BUILD PLANES
Redundant Retard
3% gay

I´ve tried the carrot rice and the mango chutney, but not the others. The recipies for the Nan and Raita don´t really differ that much from my usual ones, so I can pretty much guarantee for them. Oh, and I´ve never made Baigan Bharta, but I have of course eaten it many times. I usually cook together a Dal Mahkni or Chana Masala. My next dish will probably be Palak Paneer. That´s just so good. :)

You wouldn´t by any chance have a good recipe for it? One that you have tried.

I´ve had so much bad chinese take-away that it has ruined my taste for chinese food for ever, unfortuneatly. I cook together a great deal of chinese and thai inspired food though.
judasmuppet
cute as a crackbaby

Post by judasmuppet »

Nah, but I've got a good recipe for a Peruvian red onion and lentil salad that you'd probably dig.

We just travelled a little bit through China, and some of the things we ate in one particular village were some of the best things I've ever eaten. Which reminds me that I need to try and track a recipe for Naxi bread.
I SINCERELY HOPE YOU CUNTS NEVER BUILD PLANES
Redundant Retard
3% gay

Post the lentil recipe, pretty please. :)

I´m probably making Palak Paneer this weekend, so if the result is good I´ll be sure to post the recipe and result here. Perhaps even with pictures. *sells out*
Redundant Retard
3% gay

I just made my own Paneer, I can't wait to taste it.
It's quite simple really, but I'll advise you to use at least 2 liters of milk at a time, or else you'll get very little cheese for too much work (like I just did with only 1 liter)

1 litre of Milk
Lemonjuice from one lemon.
a bit of salt
Preferred spices (optional) e.x cumin, chili or similar.

Cook milk (with spices & salt) to a simmer and let it simmer for 5 minutes, do not let it burn or boil over.
Remove the milk from the heat.
Add lemonjuice, one tablespoon at a time while stirring.
It will after a while (and some lemon) start to curdle.
You're done when the whey is only slightly cloudy.
Pour it into a clean (and rinsed) cloth, sqeeze out the water and press the cloth with cheese between
two hard surfaces. Put a big pot full of cold water on the upper surface e.x.
It will be like a block, and you should be able to cut it into squares.

Voila, your own cottage cheese. Great for Palak Paneer.