Liingus
cute as a crackbaby
Missin' Jimmy level: 16

horror/monster movie premise

Post by Liingus »

one of my best buds is an aspiring director
he won an short film contest for an 8min horror film a few years ago
judged by one of the executive producers of one of the CSI shows
bought a nice camera with the money and has built up some gear and knowledge of doing his own effects including 3D

he's pitching a movie, which i have a role in, to cannes, toronto, and sundance

now we're trying to come up with any original idea for a monster/horror movie that could be franchised.

if you have any, you'll be credited.

just a small premise, not a story.
Redundant Retard
3% gay
Missin' Jimmy level: 0

Post by Redundant Retard »

I always find horror films that surprises the viewer as to who or what the monster or antagonist is. For example, the protagonist tries to foil the plans of some evil-doer(s), but in the end the viewer (and perhaps even the protagonist himself) realizes that it's him who's the bad guy / monster. Like a policeman investigating brutal slayings only to realize in the end that he is a werewolf or something and are responsible for the murders. Kind of like Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde.

Also, fear of the unknown is the greatest fear. In-your-face action horror is less scary. Be sublime, hint, but never show. And if you must show, then don't tell.
GoatOvaries wrote:No. It is none of your business what I like. It's only your business what I choose to make public, which is what I don't like.
Mr John
not very out-and-about-y

Post by Mr John »

Something like this would be awesome:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7W_sMFoyMs

:D
"Bof."
Mobiesque
confusitron
Missin' Jimmy level: 666

Post by Mobiesque »

Ok, it's a ripoff, but it's very much premise, not a plot:
When you get to the end of this book you realize that my hero or main character (he's a heel and a killer) has been dead throughout the book and that all the queer ghastly things which have been happening to him are happening in a sort of hell which he earned for the killing ... It is made clear that this sort of thing goes on for ever ... When you are writing about the world of the dead – and the damned – where none of the rules and laws (not even the law of gravity) holds good, there is any amount of scope for back-chat and funny cracks ~Flann O'Brien in a letter to William Saroyan outlining the premise of his novel The Third Policeman. It is also featured as an Epilogue to the novel.
'the fuck did I do?
Mr John
not very out-and-about-y

Post by Mr John »

How about a complete twat, who dies, goes to hell, but negotiates with Satan to get a job doing the devil's work on Earth?

Idea me and a mate toyed with years ago, probably used since.
"Bof."
Welcome to nowhere
ask me about my yeast infection

Post by Welcome to nowhere »

I'll try!

Premise:

An overworked husband, in desperate need of some time off for himself, goes on a solo hunting trip with his faithful dog for a week at an isolated hunting cabin his family owns. He arrives late and goes to bed, eagerly excited to wake up at 3AM to start his hunt...but earlier in the night... he awakes to his dog barking frantically and something scratching at his door. He grabs his gun, rushes downstairs and flings open his door to find is he the hunter or the hunted... (Heh, lame. but premises ARE LAME.)

Short Synopsis (sorry about the length):

An overworked, successful businessman in desperate need of some time off for himself, takes his first by-himself vacation in 7 years to his family's retreat and hunting cabin. Tagging along is his faithful hunting partner, a short-hair Irish Setter. As he drives deeper into the depths of the thickening forest, he checks his phone's voicemail one last time. 4 messages, We hear his boss bemoan his week off, his wife wishing him love, his drunk best friend grumble about something or another --delete--, and his grandma who pouts or rather forewarns:

We learn from Grandma that her son/his father died there under mysterious circumstances when our protagonist was a kid. He too went hunting off by himself at this very same location. She goes on asking him to cancel the trip, almost begs him to not go, I mean she read his horoscope, it said he should try to avoid being alone if possible for Christ's Sake! Obviously a bad omen! But you know how over-protective grandmas are, he re-assures her that's he's not alone, he has his dog and he'll make sure he doesn't everything he can to stay safe. He's just going deer hunting, what's the worst that could happen? But before they could say bye the phone suddenly dies, he's out of range.

He arrives late and unpacks, we learn his phone has no signal. He goes to bed plugging in his clock in the process. Middle of the night. We hear the dog barking, snarling but this isn't some normal bark. He yells at the dog to shut up but he doesn't, he only gets more aggressive. He buries his head in the pillow and then SCCREEEAAATTTTCH-- A DEAFENING SCRATCH pierces the house, the door. What the F*ck was that? Seconds later, the alarm clock blares off, 12:00, shit, it figure he forgot to program the damn thing. He stumbles out of bed, grabbing his gun as he rushes to the door. The door has 5 holes in it, five long holes left by a scratch. Shit, it pierced through the whole door? He takes in a breath and flings open the door, pointing his gun in every direction looking for this animal. Nothing. He decides to investigate. He goes inside and grabs a florescent lantern, his dog tries to scramble out the door as he opens it, but he keeps his dog inside...for now. Outside:

He examines his door. The scratches are huge, he can almost fit his hand through one scratch alone! He then looks at the brass doorknob, it's crumbled, like something was chewing on it, trying to open it. Also nearby, he notices his windows. One of the two windows besides thed oor are fogged over by an almost perfect circle. Inside the foggy botch is the an "m" or rather a big "M". It almost looks like some kind of snout? Hmm, upon closer inspection, there's something else on the window, something thick, what is that, Mucus? Suddenly BUSHES RATTLE at the edge of the treeline, he snatches his gun and dashes over but he's much too slow for it. We hear bushes rattle, branches break at an increasing further distant. He gives up any chase and examines the area. He finds a paw print the size of a dinosaur but it looks like a big cat or dog. But the oddest thing he found there was caught on a thorny bush, some hair, some long black almost a foot long fur. What left this?

Next day, he goes hunting, runs into a 3 does, all dead. Never seen anything killed like that before. Later that night he his a journal his dad left under a closet and learns of the beast, about how his dad went to kill it. He decides he wants nothing to do with it... that is... till his dog starts barking and this time runs off somehow. He decides he needs to chase down the beast and kill it before it kills his dog....and him kind of thing. (In the end, he never comes home and a search finds his dog and his remains....in a similar matter as the 3 dead doe.

The thing that make this "scary" movie different is that every time he goes hunting after the "beast", it would switch to "1st person" POV. We would see what he sees as he hunts and ONLY what he sees. I think that would add so much suspense and make the movie 100 times scarier. It's limits what the viewer sees and their knowledge of their surrounding. Also, this is a movie with only 1 PERSON in it, very FEW locations, and easily made on a small budget, no? Hell, you never have to show the monster if you don't want to and it has that "fear of the unknown" factor as mentioned earlier :-D
"If we all had death's touch, impotence would be pandemic"
touchy feely
cute as a crackbaby
Missin' Jimmy level: 903

Post by touchy feely »

i always thought they couldve done WAY more with premise like 'the cell'

like, this guy has this knowledge that the government needs, but he's in a coma, so they use this weird matrix-y kind of technology to go into his mind and try and pry it out
:doubt:
Liingus
cute as a crackbaby
Missin' Jimmy level: 16

Post by Liingus »

the movie he is pitching now is about an aspiring musician who has vivid dreams of going out at night to socialize and each time he meets a woman in his dream, she is dead in his bed when he wakes. the subplot is that he is also communicating with a woman who was abducted by an alien that is curious about the human emotion of love. the two plots get intermingled as he tries to make sense of what is happening. i play one of his sidekicks in the dream world.

as soon as copies are made i'll see what he wants to do so some of you guys can see it.

oh yeah, it's 3D
Roark
not very out-and-about-y

Post by Roark »

Here are my ideas:

1. A recently-deceased father reincarnates as a snowman and attempts to bond with his son.
2. A horrible demon made of faeces gets a job as a Maitre D' at a top restaurant, sending their profits into turmoil.
3. 3 perky teenage girls go camping in the remote wilderness, get stuck there due to a big storm, and spend the entire weekend talking about their feelings.
4. Microsoft gets so big that everyone is forced to use Vista. It's like hard-coded into all computers and there are no other options.
5. Bronwyn Bishop goes on a sex rampage, forcing herself upon unsuspecting cone-heads on the dole.
Miss Yvonne wrote:Stop having boring tuna. Stop having a boring life.
Rado
OMG WTF
Missin' Jimmy level: 90

Post by Rado »

Roark";p="1009658 wrote: 5. Bronwyn Bishop
*shivers*
(lingus)";p="997234 wrote:there's enough there for me,
step aside boob glutton
Mobiesque
confusitron
Missin' Jimmy level: 666

Post by Mobiesque »

Rado";p="1009669 wrote:But my baby's so vain
She is almost a mirror
And the sound of her name
Sends a perennial shiver down my
Spiii-yi-yiiii-yi-yiiii-yi-yiyiyi-ine
*understands your true feelings*
'the fuck did I do?
Mary Hinge
3% gay

Post by Mary Hinge »

Roark";p="1009658 wrote:Here are my ideas:

:o
Razor wrote:Neighbours are outside arguing..."you fucking fuck fuck stupid dumbfuck fucker fuck".
This sounds like you guys.
Dress Barn
cute as a crackbaby

Post by Dress Barn »

I always wanted to write horror. I like it best when it takes place in the day time like when Steve Bushemi (sp) got axed in Fargo.

The closest I ever got to writing scary was "Scrape"