eraserhead

Film & books

Moderators: Eviltoastman, Don Eduardo, Rick Cave, judasmuppet

General Tso s Chicken
bigger softer russier!
Missin' Jimmy level: 0

eraserhead

Post by General Tso s Chicken »

i will adnit , i really felt jerked off the first time i watched this film .

most of my favorite albums NEVER "hit" me the first few times i listened to them . specially bungle S/T . that took a year with about 4 repulsed listens . so i figured i owe it to my self to go back and try certain things a few more times and see if they click . i also searched and found the whats so great about david lynch thread ( viewtopic.php?p=997634#997634 ) , but i decided to make a thread just for this , the most unusual film i ever have enjoyed .

i guess it may have been bad timing , and a case of "not knowing what i was in for " because i really got alot more out of it on my second viewing tonight . i did some clicking around and found some cool links .

the first link is an ode to jack nance , the guy who played eraserhead , a real tragedy , it almost left me thinking that he would have been better off if he REALLY lived and died in that movie . trust me this is a great read :

http://www.davidlynch.de/premjacknance.html

(is don on the phone?)
the finished product is just the garbage left over from doing the work.
General Tso s Chicken
bigger softer russier!

this one is just to add some levity to the situation , it made me chuckle :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIiIbk8d ... re=related

Lynch Loves His Heineken

:lol:

the only time my wife and i saw bungle , it was sno-core and i had a couple of bungle "virgins" with us . the band came out and fiddled around with their sound equipment (sampler problems?) for at LEAST 3 minutes , the crowd was growing wrestless . i felt the timing was right and screamed super F-n loud in my best dennis hooper " hienekin , FUCK THAT SHIT , ITS PABST BLUE < RIBBON ! "

instantly trey hit the first chord of travolta , my buddys both looked at me bustin up , like DUDE ? !!!!

that was awesome .

8)

the one guy didnt like the show , he was convinced patton was queer .

mike had a sailor boy costume that night . :lol:
Last edited by General Tso s Chicken on 02 Dec 2008, 02:07, edited 2 times in total.
General Tso s Chicken
bigger softer russier!

o.k. enough jerkin the gerkin , heres the real meat and potatoes for the deal .

http://www.britishfilm.org.uk/lynch/eraserhead.html

It took Lynch five years to make Eraserhead, his first full length feature, and in interviews he has often described it as his "perfect" film. It is the story of Henry, and the claustrophobic horror of his day to day life. It opens with Henry's head superimposed over a featureless planet. Inside the planet resides a workman. Henry opens his mouth and a worm-like creature emerges. The workman starts his machinery; his first lever sets the worm in motion, his second lever reveals a water filled hole in the earth and a third lever catapults the worm into the hole. The camera emerges from this hole into a bright white light. We then enter Henry's life, we see him walking home and taking the elevator to his apartment. His apartment is dark, minimally equipped, with a window that looks out onto a brick wall. Henry is invited to Mary's for dinner with her family. He is offered a shrunken chicken to carve, which moves and bleeds when Henry skewers it with his fork. It is revealed that Henry and Mary have had sex and that there is a "baby". The baby is another worm-like creature. Henry and Mary share his apartment for a while until the baby's crying drives her back home. Henry falls asleep thinking of the woman who lives in the apartment opposite and wakes to find the baby is ill. Henry is now bound to his apartment, as the baby cries if he attempts to leave.

Then follows a prolonged dream sequence. Henry falls asleep staring at his radiator. In his dream he enters the radiator to find a woman, with grossly swollen cheeks, dancing on a small stage within. Worm-like creatures fall from the ceiling and are crushed underfoot in time to the music. Back in Henry's room, Mary has returned but she writhes in a bed full of worms. In an animated sequence a small worm wriggles away. There is a knock on the door and his neighbour emerges from the dark. She seduces Henry, their bed becoming a bath of milk into which they both sink. Back in the radiator, the swollen woman sings an invitation: "In heaven, everything is fine". Henry steps onto the stage, takes her hand and is consumed by a bright light. The workman appears and a wind brushes the worms from the stage. Henry finds himself in a dock, his head flies off and the baby's head replaces it. The head then falls from the sky, is collected by a boy who takes it to a workshop where it is made into pencil erasers.

On waking up, Henry tries to visit his neighbour but she isn't in, the baby laughs at him. He hears her return and sees her in the hallway with another man, she sees Henry with the head of the baby. Henry then cuts the baby's bandages and pierces the baby's heart killing it. The lights flicker and the sockets spark. A hole is blown in the planet, the workman struggles to stop his machinery. Henry, in a bright light, embraces the swollen woman and the picture cuts to black.

I don't intend to dwell too long on the interpretation of these events as it is best left up to the individual. It's safe to assume the workman represents God and the swollen woman, Death. When Henry stares at his radiator (where Death resides), as he does on several occasions, he is considering suicide. The worms are a reference to the original sin, the reproductive process, the worm cast into the hole at the beginning being the conception of either Henry or his baby. In the dream sequence he dreams of adultery with his neighbour, death (the invitation of the swollen woman), judgement (the dock) and the absolution of his sins (the worms swept away and his head made into an eraser). The film ends with Henry killing his burdensome child and then killing himself. Just as Henry's eraser is tested by making a mark and rubbing it out, Henry is creator and destroyer of the baby, the planet he occupies and ultimately himself, implying this whole world existed for Henry alone. Viewed through Henry's eyes, and probably only existing in Henry's head, it is an expressionist representation we see on screen, with Henry's perception of events hideously exaggerated - the fidgeting of Mary, the grotesque disease suffered by the baby, the fixed grin of Mary's father.

not bad . i have sat through hundreds less meaningful and silly films , just cause the plot isnt easy to follow doesnt mean its not there .

hats off to david lynch , its just kinda scary to realize he had to think of what to do next .
Grotocult
cute as a crackbaby

Post by Grotocult »

I love it. I love showing to people who are like "OK..."