Moderators: Eviltoastman, Don Eduardo, Rick Cave, judasmuppet

touchy feely
cute as a crackbaby
Missin' Jimmy level: 903

documentaries about music

Post by touchy feely »

just saw a couple: 'metal: a headbanger's journey' and 'kill your idols'

thoughts on the former -
- gaath is the biggest douchebag ever, but damned if he didnt give the movie its biggest laugh
- LOLz moment runner up: corpsegrinder's neck
- dio constantly ripping on gene simmons was also funny
- how could anyone stand being around chuck klosterman for longer than 5 seconds?
- they even went into detail about glam metal, which was interesting and surprising
- overall, pretty entertaining 90 minutes, especially if youre into metal.. a lot of good interviews.. but nothing nobody already knows, really

thoughts on the latter -
- it's about how the nyc music scene has changed over the past 25+ years, so theres a lot of obvious bitter sentiment towards the scene now from the older folks that are interviewed (lydia lunch, jim thirlwell, a guy from suicide, a guy from DNA, etc)
- the yeah yeah yeahs are made out to be huge airheaded morons.. in fact, out of the more 'recent' bands that are featured, the only guy that doesn't come off as an idiot is the guy from gogol bordello
- i still cant stand thurston moore
- michael gira is really creepy
- i really liked this movie, it cleverly/not-overbearingly uses this context to present social commentary, rather than just saying 'everything was better 20 years ago'

has anyone else seen either of these movies?
Dress Barn
cute as a crackbaby
Missin' Jimmy level: 0

Post by Dress Barn »

Good Docs about music
Mondo New York is pretty :lol:
The one about Thermin
Derailroaded the Larry "WildMan" Fisher
Hated
Dress Barn
cute as a crackbaby

Post by Dress Barn »

Oh and Decline Of A Western Civilisation part 2 The Metal Years is one of the funniest movies I've seen in forevah
Thunder Beer
a lustrous shine

Re: documentaries about music

Post by Thunder Beer »

touchy feely";p="895657 wrote:
thoughts on the former -
- gaath is the biggest douchebag ever, but damned if he didnt give the movie its biggest laugh
I saw the world premiere, and Gaahl was in the audiece. Everyone was laughing when he said "satan". I bet he felt stupid.
touchy feely";p="895657 wrote: - LOLz moment runner up: corpsegrinder's neck
Yeah, What the fuck was that?? He looks like a seal!
touchy feely";p="895657 wrote: - dio constantly ripping on gene simmons was also funny
Dio came off as a nice little dwarf. "Gene Simmons invented air" Hehe!
touchy feely";p="895657 wrote: - how could anyone stand being around chuck klosterman for longer than 5 seconds?
He is probably just as annyoing as Tarantino.
touchy feely";p="895657 wrote: - overall, pretty entertaining 90 minutes, especially if youre into metal.. a lot of good interviews.. but nothing nobody already knows, really
Not to mention the Mayhem interview. That alone is worth the money!

Nice documentary. Buy the 2 disc DVD, and get some nice bonus footage. (More Gaahl, more Mayhem, and a short documentary about Norwegian Black Metal).

I would also like to recommend the music documentary DiG
Rick Cave";p="924516 wrote: ...once you go Toby you never go back.
Redundant Retard
3% gay

Post by Redundant Retard »

Didn't they air that on NRK a few weeks\months back Toby?
GoatOvaries wrote:No. It is none of your business what I like. It's only your business what I choose to make public, which is what I don't like.
Thunder Beer
a lustrous shine

Post by Thunder Beer »

Yes they did. I bet its even funnier if you hate metal.
Rick Cave";p="924516 wrote: ...once you go Toby you never go back.
Mobiesque
confusitron
Missin' Jimmy level: 666

Post by Mobiesque »

DiG is great. They're all fuckwits.
'the fuck did I do?
Peeping Tom
poofy

Post by Peeping Tom »

Before the Music Died is a really good documentary. And your right about DiG.
Ju Fuck With Me, Ju Fuckin With The Best
touchy feely
cute as a crackbaby
Missin' Jimmy level: 903

Re: documentaries about music

Post by touchy feely »

whoops

its early
Thunder Bear
π

Post by Thunder Bear »

I recently saw a documentary called "Air Guitar Nation". Hilarious!
Make Air – not War!

Tomorrow I will check out "Blondie: One Way or Another", and "Once Upon a Time In Norway - The history of Mayhem".
...this time like triple sarcasm
Hank
cute as a crackbaby
Favorite Music: METAL
Favorite Books: LOVECRAFT
Favorite Films: HORROR
Favorite TV: SEX AND THE CITY

Post by Hank »

Thunder Bear";p="918892 wrote:"Once Upon a Time In Norway - The history of Mayhem".
:o i wanna see this, is it in anglais?
Tits of War!
Redundant Retard
3% gay

'metal: a headbanger's journey'

This was funny shit. Lauged my ass off.
GoatOvaries wrote:No. It is none of your business what I like. It's only your business what I choose to make public, which is what I don't like.
Thunder Bear
π

Post by Thunder Bear »

HankMcCain";p="918900 wrote:
Thunder Bear";p="918892 wrote:"Once Upon a Time In Norway - The history of Mayhem".
Yes. At least it has english subtitles.
The story of Øystein Aarseth and Mayhem, leaders of the stormy early years of Norwegian black metal

During the eighties young Norwegians inspired by bands like Venom mixed extreme expressions of metal music with ideas of satanism and nihilism. The milieu became notorious in the early ninetees for setting churches on fire and committing murder. After Varg Vikernes’s murder of Øystein Aarseth in 1993, the focus has shifted to the unique music, and Black Metal is now the main musical export of Norway. Interviews with articulate members of the milieu give great insight to outsiders and lots of anecdotes for true fans of black metal
World premiere
:drool:
Hank
cute as a crackbaby

Post by Hank »

Thunder Bear";p="918914 wrote:
The story of Øystein Aarseth and Mayhem, leaders of the stormy early years of Norwegian black metal

During the eighties young Norwegians inspired by bands like Venom mixed extreme expressions of metal music with ideas of satanism and nihilism. The milieu became notorious in the early ninetees for setting churches on fire and committing murder. After Varg Vikernes’s murder of Øystein Aarseth in 1993, the focus has shifted to the unique music, and Black Metal is now the main musical export of Norway. Interviews with articulate members of the milieu give great insight to outsiders and lots of anecdotes for true fans of black metal
World premiere
:drool: indeed...

here's hoping for another drunken rant by necrobutcher...
Tits of War!
Thunder Bear
π

Post by Thunder Bear »

Hank, I fucked up. I fucked up BIGTIME! The premiere was yesterday. I also missed this little treasure: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1032207/

You see, there is a film festival in town, and you only get one chance to catch the films... Hopefully they will both get a normal run.

:cry:
Hank
cute as a crackbaby

Post by Hank »

That sucks!

Speaking of Lynch, I watched Eraserhead again the other day... so classic. There is an interview on the DVD that I hadn't seen. I guess I've never seen Lynch talk before... now I completely understand why his movies are the way they are. He is really out there. In an awesome way.
Tits of War!
poopshipdestroyer
π

Post by poopshipdestroyer »

World premiere
How could they do this without Varg, while Varg is inprisoned?! Varg is the man. He didnt do nothing wrong. Free Varg you bastards!
Kicking Against The Pricks
Thunder Bear
π

Post by Thunder Bear »

HankMcCain";p="920321 wrote:That sucks!

Speaking of Lynch, I watched Eraserhead again the other day... so classic. There is an interview on the DVD that I hadn't seen. I guess I've never seen Lynch talk before... now I completely understand why his movies are the way they are. He is really out there. In an awesome way.
I love his interviews. His wicked hair and octopus fingers is worth watching alone.
I havent seen the Eraserhead 2000 interviews yet.
Thunder Bear
π

Post by Thunder Bear »

poopshipdestroyer";p="924440 wrote:

World premiere
How could they do this without Varg, while Varg is inprisoned?! Varg is the man. He didnt do nothing wrong. Free Varg you bastards!
They did it with archive interviews, old footage and new interviews. Oh you mean they can have the world premiere without him?
Because he meant nothing to the band... He was hardly a member.

He stabbed a guy 23 times in the head. He also lit up several beautiful churches all around Norway. One fireman was killed thanks to this.
His intention was to blow up Nidarosdommen.

He escaped from prison in 2003 (ahh, Norway :love: ), but was later found in a stolen car with an AG3 automatic rifle, 700 bullets, a couple of handguns, numerous large knives, a gas mask, a police radio, camouflage clothing, a laptop, a compass, a GPS, various maps and a bulletproof west.

I belive he did something wrong.

Hopefully he will be released for good in 2008. I cant wait to see what he is up to next.
poopshipdestroyer
π

Thunder Bear";p="924451 wrote:

World premiere
They did it with archive interviews, old footage and new interviews. Oh you mean they can have the world premiere without him?

He stabbed a guy 23 times in the head. He also lit up several beautiful churches all around Norway. One fireman was killed thanks to this.

He escaped from prison in 2003 (ahh, Norway :love: ), but was later found in a stolen car with an AG3 automatic rifle, 700 bullets, a couple of handguns, numerous large knives, a gas mask, a police radio, camouflage clothing, a laptop, a compass, a GPS, various maps and a bulletproof west.

Hopefully he will be released for good in 2008. I cant wait to see what he is up to next.
He didnt stab anyone 23 times in the head, he stabbed that dude ONE time in the head. The rest of the so callede "stab wounds" was in the victims back after he had fallen on some broken glass from a broken lamp (glass lamp, understand). It also was self defence and so were the church burnings, but he didnt do the church burnings. He had lied to a jounalist about burning churches and stuff, and the journalist wrote the shit AND told police!!?? What a scumbag!
Escape?! :lol: Hahaha, he was on permission from jail and did not return, Mr!! That's not escaping, it's like being late for work. http://www.aftenposten.no/nyheter/iriks ... 727356.ece
http://www.elden.no/nyhet.php?id=107
Redundant Retard
3% gay

He's still a sick fuck and will probably be jailed again when he gets out.
Thunder Bear
π

Post by Thunder Bear »

poopshipdestroyer";p="924531 wrote:
Thunder Bear";p="924451 wrote:

World premiere

He didnt stab anyone 23 times in the head, he stabbed that dude ONE time in the head. The rest of the so callede "stab wounds" was in the victims back after he had fallen on some broken glass from a broken lamp (glass lamp, understand). It also was self defence and so were the church burnings, but he didnt do the church burnings. He had lied to a jounalist about burning churches and stuff, and the journalist wrote the shit AND told police!!?? What a scumbag!
Escape?! :lol: Hahaha, he was on permission from jail and did not return, Mr!! That's not escaping, it's like being late for work. http://www.aftenposten.no/nyheter/iriks ... 727356.ece
http://www.elden.no/nyhet.php?id=107

Okay, so he didnt stab him 23 times in the head. I wrote it because it sounded cool. And it is. According to wikipedia it was two to the head, five to the neck and 16 to the back.
He was granted a short leave from prison, but didnt return. How is that not escaping? He walked away, and didnt come back. He was gone. He escaped. Like Keyser Soze. At least for a while.
I belive that the BT journalist did tell the police. But he denies it. I dont think he is looking foreward to the release of Varg Vikernes...
Redundant Retard
3% gay

Christian Vikernes. :lol:
poopshipdestroyer
π

Thunder Bear";p="924579 wrote: Okay, so he didnt stab him 23 times in the head. I wrote it because it sounded cool. And it is. According to wikipedia it was two to the head, five to the neck and 16 to the back.
So I was right and you admit that you're a filthy liar? Ok, cool.
Thunder Bear";p="924579 wrote:
He was granted a short leave from prison, but didnt return. How is that not escaping? He walked away, and didnt come back. He was gone. He escaped. Like Keyser Soze. At least for a while.
It's not escaping if you dont climb over at least one wall/fence or dig a tunnel. Ideally, there should be a raft made of raincoats involved in the escape. And false human heads!! I dont see being "granted a short leave" qualifies as an escape. Not even close, man!
Thunder Bear
π

Post by Thunder Bear »

poopshipdestroyer";p="924596 wrote: So I was right and you admit that you're a filthy liar? Ok, cool.
No, it wasnt a lie. It was a small exaggeration.

This however is a lie:
poopshipdestroyer";p="924440 wrote:Varg is the man. He didnt do nothing wrong.
this:
he stabbed that dude ONE time in the head
this:
The rest of the so callede "stab wounds" was in the victims back after he had fallen on some broken glass from a broken lamp
this:
It also was self defence
this:
and so were the church burnings
this:
he didnt do the church burnings
this:
He had lied to a jounalist about burning churches and stuff
this:
he was on permission from jail and did not return, Mr!! That's not escaping, it's like being late for work.
and this:
It's not escaping if you dont climb over at least one wall/fence or dig a tunnel.