Recent films. A very brief opinion.

Film & books

Moderators: Eviltoastman, Don Eduardo, Rick Cave, judasmuppet

Mobiesque
confusitron
Missin' Jimmy level: 666

Re: Recent films. A very brief opinion.

Post by Mobiesque »

I love James Gunn and he didn't fail me. Great cast, odd mood shifts, needless ultraviolence for no reason, Kevin Bacon - everything a growing lad needs.
'the fuck did I do?
Welcome to nowhere
ask me about my yeast infection

Post by Welcome to nowhere »

Frozen. Pretty good, legitimate scary movie about being trapped on a ski lift (closes Sunday night and nobody returns until Friday).

Check out the trailer:
http://www.frozen-film.com/

"If we all had death's touch, impotence would be pandemic"
BABY SHAKER
bigger softer russier!

Post by BABY SHAKER »

saw that one a couple times.
it made my face hurt. and my hands.
oh and my legs as well.

in a good way though.
Mobiesque
confusitron
Missin' Jimmy level: 666

Post by Mobiesque »

Now that I'm pretty sure I'm up to date with all series that I love, I'm doing all the schlock movies before I do anything good. And as there is a plethora of the superhero genre, and ive got 4 years of some franchises to go on with, I'd like to know what's better / worse compared to these.

X-Men franchise: Seen the first 3 on cable tv at some point, all terrible no matter how out of it I was. Got a great recommendation from someone last week about First Class and really wanted to watch the Wolverine film just for Taylor Kitch. Wolverine was as garbage as all of them, First Class was actually pretty good.

Just watched The Watchmen, then checked the runtime, thats worse than Tranformers 2, that said, far far far better film. Can't quite guess how many acts were involved in it, but the middle 90 mins of 3hrs 6mins were really great. I'll go read the 5 page thread soon enough.

Will do the Iron Mans soon enough. Might like them.

And what the fuck? Let The Right One In came out TWO years ago, and theres already a US remake.

Everything to this point is why Hollywood is a failed, bygone powerhouse where 'ideas came alive'....in the 40's

I blame the Jews.
'the fuck did I do?
General Tso s Chicken
bigger softer russier!
Missin' Jimmy level: 0

Post by General Tso s Chicken »

they had a dollar matinee for "Rio" at the local theater . took my kids and their cousins to see this today . it got a 7 on imdb so i was thinking i would enjoy it . we'll i would just say unless your the type to take your kid to every animated thing that comes out , its a rental . the dollar ticket did not feature the film, in 3d .

there were a few things that really bothered me , innuendo , stereotypes , unnecessary song and dance numbers and violence . some of the animation was spectacular , and i would imagine some of the 3d would work really well . it was'nt terrible , but i could have been soo much better , with a proper script . i cant under stand how you could throw money away like that ?
the finished product is just the garbage left over from doing the work.
General Tso s Chicken
bigger softer russier!

watched the sequel to http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0302585/ which i would highly recomend , very funny film , and its also a little emotionally moving .

heard about the sequel today , actually saw it in the video store on a walk with my ole lady . turns out sometimes sequels can be pretty good , actually we both loled quite a bit .

any way if you haven't checked out fubar, do yourself a favor , but if you are familiar and have yet to see the sequel , you are in for a treat :

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0302585/

i am going to have to re-watch the first one now , they are both really funny films .
Grotocult
cute as a crackbaby

Post by Grotocult »

The Help.
Because laughing at black women never gets old.
Dress Barn
cute as a crackbaby

Post by Dress Barn »

Could not get very far with Tron 2
Dress Barn
cute as a crackbaby

Post by Dress Barn »

Hobo With A Shotgun would have been a better videogame
Eviltoastman
Part-time Demi-Mod
Favorite Books: .
Missin' Jimmy level: 10

Post by Eviltoastman »

Dress Barn wrote:Hobo With A Shotgun would have been a better videogame
I hate puzzle games.
Sharppie is my best friend.
General Tso s Chicken
bigger softer russier!

hesher

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1403177/

not exactly what i expected at all , but very good , a little emotional .

the scene with the cable tv was great .
Dress Barn
cute as a crackbaby

Post by Dress Barn »

The worst film I've ever seen in my life was "Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes"
General Tso s Chicken
bigger softer russier!

really ? are you a fan of the originals ?

i am just curious cause someone told me it was really good , also , i think it got good reviews ...
Dress Barn
cute as a crackbaby

Post by Dress Barn »

I actually really dug the Tim Burton version, especially the soundtrack which is my Elfman favorite.

this one was very no substance summer blockbuster where all the good bits are in the preview. Horrible acting. It was an hour too long. Tried way to hard to force emotional scenes with the apes.
They should have renamed it "A Gaggle Of Apes" because there wasn't really that many.

And half of it is Harry And The Hendersons.
Really bland music too
Last edited by Dress Barn on 03 Sep 2011, 11:02, edited 1 time in total.
Dress Barn
cute as a crackbaby

Post by Dress Barn »

Mobiesque wrote:Image

I love James Gunn and he didn't fail me. Great cast, odd mood shifts, needless ultraviolence for no reason, Kevin Bacon - everything a growing lad needs.
"Don't molest children!"
Very funny movie
BABY SHAKER
bigger softer russier!

Post by BABY SHAKER »

Dress Barn wrote:this one was very no substance summer blockbuster where all the good bits are in the preview. Horrible acting. It
was an hour too long. Tried way to hard to force emotional scenes with the apes.
They should have renamed it "A Gaggle Of Apes" because there wasn't really that many.

And half of it is Harry And The Hendersons.
Really bland music too
but john lithgow was sooooo cute.

Dress Barn wrote:"Don't molest children!"
Very funny movie
with some great unexpected very violent violence.
Dress Barn
cute as a crackbaby

Post by Dress Barn »

Really beautifuly shot, awesome soundtrack
Movie was so-so after a while.
Would have been a great video game.
Dress Barn
cute as a crackbaby

Post by Dress Barn »

Red State is awesome. Blew me away
General Tso s Chicken
bigger softer russier!

me too , what a great fucking movie . i was REALLY surprised , i had super high hopes after reading your comment , but i wasn't ready for how fucking awesome it really was .

im gonna have to look at imdb , i noticed there was some conflicting reviews about it .

some of that shit was pretty intense too ! im not gonna say too much i would just say check it out , dont look into it , just see it .
Dress Barn
cute as a crackbaby

Post by Dress Barn »

I couldn't believe it was Kevin Smith. If I had to guess the director I would have picked the Coen Brothers
BABY SHAKER
bigger softer russier!

Post by BABY SHAKER »

General Tso s Chicken wrote:i noticed there was some conflicting reviews about it
someone on netflix wrote:This movie is in dire need of editing. The dialogue (particularly of the preacher) just went on and on (and on and on). Way too talky. There is practically no character development. The tensions that existed between mother and daughter, hostage and fanatic, were overwrought, obvious, and not given enough time to develop into anything meaningful. Some people have called this a horror flick. What?? The action sequences were in the style of Private Ryan/Blackhawk Down. If people found that scary, they better not watch Nightmare on Elm Street or Pet Semetary - THOSE are horror flicks. The pansies who called this movie a "horror flick" are liable to soil themselves if they watch a real one. Not only did I not find this movie even remotely scary, I found the action sequences utterly boring and unoriginal. There is absolutely nothing here that we haven't seen done better elsewhere by, say, Ridley Scott or Steven Spielberg. I'm a big fan of John Goodman (Barton Fink, Big Lebowski), but god, he was painful to watch and listen to here. Whenever he speaks, he's wheezy and out of breath. In one dramatic scene where he is yelling into his Blackberry during a firefight, his voice is able to hit only 50% of the force and assertiveness the scene demands. When he tries to strike an sarcastic/mocking expression, or affect a suppressed smile, it gets muddled and lost in the maze of wrinkles that have taken over his face. He has not aged well. Kevin Smith was trying to channel wit and deadpan humor of the Coen Brothers (especially in the last scene that explains it all and clubs the audience over the head with the simplistic moral message Kevin Smith is trying to express with his movie). But no one can do the Coen Brothers except the Coen Brothers. This effort was a nice try, but it just fell flat. Definitely not worth the $10 I paid to watch it pre-release. I would not recommend it.
General Tso s Chicken
bigger softer russier!

that new fantomas DC new years dvd fucking rules by the way , i just wished they would a used more effects .
General Tso s Chicken
bigger softer russier!

thor was good . i think i enjoyed it more than iron man . the effects were great , the audio was too loud on a lot of that , typical .

i really want to patch a compressor in on my pc sound sytem . i looked for software for that , came up empty handed . maybe i could do it with my recording sound card . emu 0404 ...
Eviltoastman
Part-time Demi-Mod
Favorite Books: .
Missin' Jimmy level: 10

Post by Eviltoastman »

sockhop gruel wrote:
General Tso s Chicken wrote:i noticed there was some conflicting reviews about it
someone on netflix wrote:This movie is in dire need of editing. The dialogue (particularly of the preacher) just went on and on (and on and on). Way too talky. There is practically no character development. The tensions that existed between mother and daughter, hostage and fanatic, were overwrought, obvious, and not given enough time to develop into anything meaningful. Some people have called this a horror flick. What?? The action sequences were in the style of Private Ryan/Blackhawk Down. If people found that scary, they better not watch Nightmare on Elm Street or Pet Semetary - THOSE are horror flicks. The pansies who called this movie a "horror flick" are liable to soil themselves if they watch a real one. Not only did I not find this movie even remotely scary, I found the action sequences utterly boring and unoriginal. There is absolutely nothing here that we haven't seen done better elsewhere by, say, Ridley Scott or Steven Spielberg. I'm a big fan of John Goodman (Barton Fink, Big Lebowski), but god, he was painful to watch and listen to here. Whenever he speaks, he's wheezy and out of breath. In one dramatic scene where he is yelling into his Blackberry during a firefight, his voice is able to hit only 50% of the force and assertiveness the scene demands. When he tries to strike an sarcastic/mocking expression, or affect a suppressed smile, it gets muddled and lost in the maze of wrinkles that have taken over his face. He has not aged well. Kevin Smith was trying to channel wit and deadpan humor of the Coen Brothers (especially in the last scene that explains it all and clubs the audience over the head with the simplistic moral message Kevin Smith is trying to express with his movie). But no one can do the Coen Brothers except the Coen Brothers. This effort was a nice try, but it just fell flat. Definitely not worth the $10 I paid to watch it pre-release. I would not recommend it.
I see you found my review.
Sharppie is my best friend.
General Tso s Chicken
bigger softer russier!

The Good, the Bad, the Weird

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0901487/reviews

lotsa violence , lotsa gun fights , great editing , fun movie , lil long but it really moves fast .