General Arsenal Discussion.

Private forum for football/soccer discussion

Moderators: Eviltoastman, Don Eduardo, lol-o-caust, Rick Cave

Eviltoastman
Part-time Demi-Mod
Favorite Books: .
Missin' Jimmy level: 10

Post by Eviltoastman »

I'll catch that when my PC stops bleeding. Did you see the Reading game? Arguably the best performance of a premiership team ever up til the 75th minute.

Hleb with an assist and a goal, Henry with a goal, Fabregas with two assist and won a penalty. Paul Merson echoed my comments which I've made here many many times. He said Fabregas will be the best player in the world in a matter of a few years. Seriously, 5 points behind, a game in hand...we're certainly contenders this year. Considering the pundits said after 3 games that our season was over (domestically).

Djourou played very well, don't know he'll be o confident against better opposition, but as Angy Gray said, within the last fortnight, reading have drawn at home with Manu and nearly beat Chelsea so for us to beat them 4-0 was a good win against a decent side, not your average promotion team.

Very pleased with our progress.
Sharppie is my best friend.
Rick Cave
cute as a crackbaby
Missin' Jimmy level: 0

Post by Rick Cave »

The Reading match was great.
Everything clicked.

I don't know if we're going to get the Carling Cup game over here.
I want to see how Senderos is doing.
Depressed beyond tablets
judasmuppet
cute as a crackbaby

Post by judasmuppet »

Sounds like it was a pretty good match considering it was the "second-string" side.
Nam Tsao";p="810783 wrote:£131.50 = BBC Licence fee. Mandatory. Automatic fine for unlicenced homes.
£90.00 = Sky Sport subscription (which includes two other packages for free, except Sky Movies).
I've been doing to some research and asking questions on a Swedish forum, and apparently a pirated Sky deal is actually the best option. I.e. get a satellite dish, then subscribe to Sky using a UK address. Also something about making sure you don't tune into the shopping channel...

Canal+ is probably the most comprehensive package to get legally, but it would cost the equivalent of £200 for the year plus set-up.

I don't know what the cost of a satellite dish is though.
I SINCERELY HOPE YOU CUNTS NEVER BUILD PLANES
Eviltoastman
Part-time Demi-Mod

Post by Eviltoastman »

Sky dishes and recievers only recieve sky. make sure you're sure about the whole thing when sorting your satalite out. You may find that it's impossible to get sky in Sweden, that said in Spain, everyone has Sky for "free".
judasmuppet
cute as a crackbaby

Post by judasmuppet »

How do they get it for "free"?

The Canal+ deal also gets all the films, which I imagine wouldn't be too bad.
Eviltoastman
Part-time Demi-Mod

Post by Eviltoastman »

No idea. They probably have chipped boxes.

This interested me earlier:
Daily Express wrote:Tottenham turned down the chance to sign Dennis Bergkamp over a decade ago in favour of Crystal Palace's Chris Armstrong, with the Dutch striker eventually joining rivals Arsenal from Inter Milan.
Fundamental flaws in the decision making process right there.
Rick Cave
cute as a crackbaby

Post by Rick Cave »

I don't think Bergkamp would have stayed at Tottenham for 10 years.
Has anyone?
Depressed beyond tablets
Eviltoastman
Part-time Demi-Mod

Post by Eviltoastman »

Only the woodworm.
Rick Cave
cute as a crackbaby

Post by Rick Cave »

Did you hear anything about why Lehmann pushed Toure?
Depressed beyond tablets
Eviltoastman
Part-time Demi-Mod

Post by Eviltoastman »

I know why he pushed Toure anyway. Lehman made a call and Toure went for it and Toure landed on Lehman's foot.
judasmuppet
cute as a crackbaby

Post by judasmuppet »

It was what followed that was funnier.
lol-o-caust
ask me about my yeast infection

Post by lol-o-caust »

Rick Cave";p="820035 wrote:Did you hear anything about why Lehmann pushed Toure?
Germans and nigs. Old story.

</pb>
Stuff.
judasmuppet
cute as a crackbaby

Post by judasmuppet »

Too much punctuation.
Rick Cave
cute as a crackbaby

Post by Rick Cave »

PB never capitalizes.

What kind of Mexican doesn't like football?
I doubt his story.
Depressed beyond tablets
judasmuppet
cute as a crackbaby

Post by judasmuppet »

Speaking of Mexicans in an Arsenal thread:
VELA BLOSSOMS IN SALAMANCA

While Thierry Henry continues to lead the Arsenal forward line with grace and the precocious Theo Walcott waits in the wings, another bright young Gunners star is beginning to shine in the unlikely surroundings of historic Spanish city Salamanca.

Signed last year from Guadalajara, 17 year-old Mexican striker Carlos Vela is unable to make his Arsenal debut until he obtains a European passport.

That complication saw the skilful striker sent out on loan to Celta Vigo for two seasons and despite handing him his debut in a pre-season friendly against, of all clubs, Tottenham, the Galician side decided that their new young recruit was not quite ready for the Primera Liga.

Vela therefore sealed a one-year switch to Second Division Salamanca, where he finally made his professional debut at what is already his fourth club. And he has not looked back.

The young Mexican has already scored four goals in Salamanca's fine start to the season and showed flashes of real class in Sunday's match against Alicante side Hercules.

In that match, an entertaining 2-2 draw, Vela was employed on the left wing where he proved a constant threat with his speed and impressive dribbling ability.

He was extremely unlucky not to get on the scoresheet, denied only by the elements when, having taken the ball round Hercules goalkeeper Sergio Aragoneses, he was hindered by a huge puddle on the edge of the six-yard box, the result of a torrential downpour which began early in the first half.

Vela nevertheless departed late on to a standing ovation from the Salamanca faithful and for the moment, seems comfortable in the sumptuous surroundings of the charming university city.

"I am happy here in Salamanca. I have a good relationship with the fans and am pleased with how I am playing," he said. "As a team we are doing well (Salamanca, newly-promoted, are currently fifth in the table and are one of the favourites to go up) and I have also scored a few goals."

Deep down, however, this teenager's one burning desire is to turn out in the red and white of Arsenal.

"Arsenal are a great club and although at the moment I am concentrating on my football here, it would be incredible to go back and play there one day," he added.

Vela signed for Arsenal at the end of last year, following his impressive performances for Mexico in the FIFA Under-17 World Championship in Peru where he scored five goals in total, including one in the final against Brazil.

The youngster, then only 16, admitted to being starstruck upon meeting the Arsenal squad.

"It was amazing to be there on the same pitch with all the great players they have, and in particular to meet (Thierry) Henry," he admitted. "The players and the manager were great and all came and spoke to me, although I couldn't understand much of what they were saying."

"I need to get some experience here and sort out my papers, but it is my dream to be in London playing for Arsenal in two seasons' time."

It is a dream shared by Arsenal chief scout Steve Rowley.

The Gunners representative was in Salamanca on Sunday to watch the Mexican and believes the North London side have unearthed a real jewel.

"Carlos is a great talent. He's a wonderful poacher and what I like about him is that he's different. He's fast, is a great dribbler, and is instinctive in the box. We are very happy to have found him," he said.

Rowley travels to Spain every few weeks to monitor the youngster's progress and believes Vela is getting the right footballing education.

"Salamanca are a great club. They always try to play football the right way and their style is similar to Arsenal's. He is getting a good education here," Rowley added.

"He's playing against very physical players and is learning all the time. They have been using him on the left, on the right and in the middle and that will give him flexibility as well."

Best-selling sports daily Marca this week described Vela as the new Hugo Sanchez, ironically a player Arsenal rejected the opportunity to sign some 20 years ago.

However, the Gunners were determined not to miss out this time and if Vela continues to blossom at the same rate, Arsene Wenger will have a wealth of options up front in two years' time.
Rick Cave
cute as a crackbaby

Post by Rick Cave »

I don't know if we get Mexican second division here.
We probably do.
I have tons of Spanish language channels I never watch.

I'd like to see the kid play
Depressed beyond tablets
lol-o-caust

Post by lol-o-caust »

More great news for the footballing youth of Britain there.
Stuff.
Eviltoastman
Part-time Demi-Mod

Post by Eviltoastman »

Yes it is actually.

It's not Arsene Wenger's fault that British players are coached from a junior level to run and kick people as opposed to reading the game intelligently, passing and intelligent moving. There are exceptions and when Wengers sees the exception, he seizes it, as he has with Walcott recently and what he is attempting with Muamba and Hoyte.

One thing that is never mentioned is that when Wenger attempts to breed excellence through English players, he usually gets burnt. Pennant was doing well, but his attitude and drinky-drinky-drivey-drivey sessions got the better of him. Bentley appeared ungrateful and foolhardy with his move out of Highbury, a sign of a relapse to adolescent temper tantrums saw the end of Bentley's rise within the Arsenal ranks. Two players right there who when married to the awful statistic released this week that the UK's youngsters are the most unruly, worst behaved, least intelligent Europe really does marry the pattern that has emerged of recent times with Arsene Wenger's foreign policy. If you have stupid petulant kids, you don't have to look far for stupid petualnt parents and parenting is not the responsibility of a football club.

Reading Maradonna's bio recently and I see many comparisons between Diego's battle on the field with the battle Wenger rages against institutional footballing naivity, ignorance and stupidity and Henry's fury (what Maradonna calls "Broncha"). Diego stated that he and his team Argentinos in the Argentinian league had to battle what he called running play (unintelligent running and rough house fouling) with fluid passing and intelligent movement, and they played the football people wanted to see. This mirror's Wenger's plight almost identically, only difference being that Wenger is in a market place where he is able to pick the cream of the crop from around the world, and why would anyone play half a team of average individuals when he can field a good strong team for half the price and twice the talent, which ironically encourages the majority of poor or unintelligent British players to develop the intellectual side of their game through the benefit of sharing the field with true talent in competetive play, THIS BENEFITS ENGLAND. English players would be far poorer were it not for the fact that they play against these foreign geniuses day in day out.

There are so many facets to explore and so little space and the spastic will no doubt reply with myopia and bile but fuck em.
lol-o-caust

Post by lol-o-caust »

Good answer man, you never disappoint.
statistic released this week that the UK's youngsters are the most unruly, worst behaved, least intelligent Europe
Didn't know that. Pity about the bad grammar.

</winces at the irony>
Stuff.
Eviltoastman
Part-time Demi-Mod

Post by Eviltoastman »

It's called alcohol, not bad grammar. ;) The 'irony' musing is moot.

That wasn't initially posted here by the way, it wasn't directed at you Mr John, it's something wrote in response to a far more aggressive attack on Wenger's policy on talent over passports which has been raging for a few years now, but has recently been reignited by UEFA's plans to force all teams to play at least six players in every side from the host team's country. Someone has not informed UEFA about European employment law. As Wenger states, the idea with be destroyed in Brussels.
lol-o-caust

Post by lol-o-caust »

Heh.
This country's fucked. I got talking to my colleagues in the pub last night about getting punished at school. They had their hands lashed or whipped, whatever, now kids have all the power.

My remark on this was: "If anything children today are being punished more, they are allowed to grow up without manners, discipline and intelligence. Their inability to reason right or wrong is completely lacking and this will ruin their entire lives. And all this happens because some fucking social workers didn't like the idea of kids being given a short sharp shock to teach them not to fuck about."
:|
Stuff.
Eviltoastman
Part-time Demi-Mod

Post by Eviltoastman »

I was never physically punished. I don't see it as a constructive deterrant. The kids who are the biggest shits when I was growing up, are the kids who spend most of their time now in jail and spent most of their time as kids being punished physically by their parents. ALL my friends from the estate I grew up on were beaten if they did wrong. I wasn't, I was threatened with it and now and again I got a slap, but my parents took time to explain why I shouldn't behave a certain way, the communicated. Physical unishment is extremely effective in the short term but as we all know humans are extremely adaptable and get used to the beatings, they become ineffective and they return to their old ways, usually by this time, kids won't give a fuck what you do because you can't kill them and they won't listen to you because why should they. I had the fear of the threat of violence hanging over my head whereas my friends became immune to it and accepted it as a means to an end and that's why my 20% is 20%, to pay for their dole, their prison, their rent, their food.

Hitting is lazy. Doing nothing is lazy. I blame lazy parenting.
lol-o-caust

Post by lol-o-caust »

Agreed. But I was talking about punishment in schools.
The last job on Earth I would do is teach.
Stuff.
Eviltoastman
Part-time Demi-Mod

Post by Eviltoastman »

My headmaster poked my in my chest once, my dad gave me a note and made me give it to the headmaster which read: "You poke my son again and I'll poke your fucking eyes out".

That sorted that. Never got disciplined in school through corporal punishment. Got beaten up by a teacher, but that's another story.
lol-o-caust

Post by lol-o-caust »

:eek:
Stuff.