Recent Games. A very brief opinion..

Private forum for gaming discussion

Moderators: Busta, Eviltoastman

Eviltoastman
Part-time Demi-Mod
Favorite Books: .
Missin' Jimmy level: 10

Re: Recent Games. A very brief opinion..

Post by Eviltoastman »

Mr John wrote:
joey5001 wrote:Not too sure, I'm not too into it yet. Prefering it to Oblivion though. I've made my character a goodie, and am already kinda regretting it.
This can change by killing a load of "innocent" people or doing missions that are "evil" for wankers. Your karma level is just another variable, don't worry about it until you need to change it for a mission.

However, avoid killing named charactors unless you have to, because some of them may be needed later. Keep two or three save points handy before you go out looking for stuff.
Broken Steel add on.

1 - The penultimate level up perk allows you to change the characters karma to Evil, Neutral or Goody white tits.
2 - Level 30!!!
3 - Tesla Cannon.

Also, remember to boost the sneak skill and theif skills and popping grenades into innocent people's pockets soon gets you evil.

Also...if you're a goody and want to be evil. and have not madea decision on megaton...blow it up.
Sharppie is my best friend.
joey5001
i <3 goatovaries

Post by joey5001 »

Mr John wrote:
joey5001 wrote:Not too sure, I'm not too into it yet. Prefering it to Oblivion though. I've made my character a goodie, and am already kinda regretting it.
This can change by killing a load of "innocent" people or doing missions that are "evil" for wankers. Your karma level is just another variable, don't worry about it until you need to change it for a mission.

However, avoid killing named charactors unless you have to, because some of them may be needed later. Keep two or three save points handy before you go out looking for stuff.
Yeah, I saved - then killed everyone in Megaton. Nova was one of the last I killed, and she didn't run away from me, she just said "Hey danger girl." So I shot her.

Probably will reload from my previous save though, as I failed 3 quests during my spree. :(
Nearl: Where's Babar?
X-tacle: He's in the shower.
Nearl: No he's not! Elephants take showers with their noses!
Mr John
not very out-and-about-y
Missin' Jimmy level: 0

Post by Mr John »

Ooh, what 'appens when you nuke Megaton? I has a hoose full of goodies there...

I got Broken Steel, good extra missions, but a little short. I went through them with fuck all stimpacks but managed, am now chasing the last few pissy missions, but really have nothing else to do but level up. I remember Toast said one of the other expansion packs was shite, so dunno if I'll bother.

Start again time? I think so.
"Bof."
Eviltoastman
Part-time Demi-Mod

Post by Eviltoastman »

Anchorage. It's a piss poor shooter game.
Mr John
not very out-and-about-y

Post by Mr John »

Aye, Mothership Zeta looks a bit like a crap Quake 4 ( I originally and distractedly typed "Quack 4" there, how fucking funny would that have been? Answers on a postcard. ) so I think I'll avoid.

Been playing Wipeout Fury (awesome) and Fifa 2010 (do. not. want. But PES is supposed to be shite this year) for the last couple of days.
"Bof."
Dress Barn
cute as a crackbaby

Post by Dress Barn »

Really enjoying the Silent Hill "Shattered Memories" for the Wii right now
Except the graphics are as good as the SH that was out for the PSP
ReverseEngineer
cute as a crackbaby

Post by ReverseEngineer »

Eviltoastman wrote:I can't think of a good one, but why limit yourself by thinking in such terms? I think of games as games and cannot see any bebnefit of holding such a low benchmark (as other comic book games).

Arkham was a wonderful little game. The problem with it is that it was so brief. Don't let that stop you though, it's a hell of a game and I'm sure you'll love it too.
I'm having a blast with this. I don't mind if it's brief, because I don't have dozens of hours to put into video gaming.
ReverseEngineer
cute as a crackbaby

... though thinking about it now, I wonder how much fun the game would be if they hadn't gotten so many of the voice talent from the animated series... The different voice for Commissioner Gordon throws me off, especially since all the other major characters have the same voices.
Mr John
not very out-and-about-y

Post by Mr John »

ReverseEngineer wrote:
Eviltoastman wrote:I can't think of a good one, but why limit yourself by thinking in such terms? I think of games as games and cannot see any bebnefit of holding such a low benchmark (as other comic book games).

Arkham was a wonderful little game. The problem with it is that it was so brief. Don't let that stop you though, it's a hell of a game and I'm sure you'll love it too.
I'm having a blast with this. I don't mind if it's brief, because I don't have dozens of hours to put into video gaming.
My sentiments exactly. I pick up "new" games when I want them, or when they come down in price, then play at my leisure.

I've had Fallout 3 for about a year now and still get kicks out of it by making it last. Just restarted the Broken Steel main missions, having gone back to the end of the main game, then got my XP up to level 25. 200 Stimpacks, decent armour and weapons, now off to the airfield to kick some ass.

Just got Unreal Tournament and Motorstorm: Pacific Drift for my PS3. The former is exactly what I need, a short attention span FPS frag-fest with dozens of bots to kill, that I can play for half an hour between meals. The latter is just FUN.
:twisted:
"Bof."
Eviltoastman
Part-time Demi-Mod

Post by Eviltoastman »

ReverseEngineer wrote:... though thinking about it now, I wonder how much fun the game would be if they hadn't gotten so many of the voice talent from the animated series... The different voice for Commissioner Gordon throws me off, especially since all the other major characters have the same voices.
I never saw the cartoon and I loved it.

Currently hammering Forza 3 - The best racing game ever - and Assasin's Creed II. I've paid for Mass Effect 2 and am also deeply in love with Team Hardcore Deathmatch on Modern Warfare 2.
touchy feely
cute as a crackbaby
Missin' Jimmy level: 903

Post by touchy feely »

was forced to play darksiders the other night

yahtzee croshaw nails it: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/ ... Darksiders
:doubt:
touchy feely
cute as a crackbaby

Post by touchy feely »

Mr John
not very out-and-about-y

Post by Mr John »

Geek jokes!
:D

I do hope you all read Charlie Brooker as well.
:love:
"Bof."
Eviltoastman
Part-time Demi-Mod

Post by Eviltoastman »

I've been really into Forza 3 since December 12th. Exceptional game. Great online, good depth and very challenging. Not for the Need For Speed crowd and probably too hardcore for the Gran Turismo followers.

Mass Effect 2 is a huge improvement over the first Mass Effect. Combat mechanics are a lot smoother and the weapon system and character growth system has been tweaked making the whole thing a little more cohesive.

Will be picking up Bioshock 2 as long as the thing doesn't burn when it goes gold. I'm not too interested in the multiplayer aspect.

Final Fantasy XIII has been given a huge criticism by the japanese press for being too linear whilst they simultaneously advise that the game is still very good despite the lack of freedom compared to previousl FF games. I might pick that up but I've yet to complete FFXii and Persona 4 which are probably the best RPGs I've ever played.
The Rambam
a lustrous shine
Favorite Books: Foucault's Pendulum - Umberto Eco
The Dune Chronicles - Frank Herbert
Favorite Films: The Shawshank Redemption
The Godfather (Parts 1 & 2)
The Big Lebowski
Brazil
Unforgiven
Conspiracy
Favorite TV: The Wire
Deadwood
Rome
30 Rock
Batman: The Brave and the Bold
Justice League/Justice League Unlimited
Invader ZIM

Post by The Rambam »

Never got into Final Fantasy, there's just something weird about playing something called Final anything when it has like twenty fucking sequels and shit.
"Well, they finally did it: They killed my fucking car."
Mr John
not very out-and-about-y

Post by Mr John »

The Rambam wrote:Never got into Final Fantasy, there's just something weird about playing something called Final anything when it has like twenty fucking sequels and shit.
'Zactly.
:lol:

That and after 7 (PS one), they have all been referred to as "still not as good as 7". I wasted 3 months playing that, enjoying it, then discovered I hadn't retrieved a crystal from a rocket ship mission or something, so was completely fucked and could not progress.

:curse:

Fuck all those mad Jap RPGs with identikit charactors and time wasting adventures. Started Fallout 3 from scratch For the win.
8)
"Bof."
ReverseEngineer
cute as a crackbaby

I really liked Final Fantasy 9. I thought it was better than 7. Few share my onion.
Eviltoastman
Part-time Demi-Mod

Post by Eviltoastman »

If you forgot to retrieve something in VII, you could always go back and retrieve it. the game had no fatal exceptions which would allow this.

However, there are manhy materia and weapons you only get one crack at which are non-essential to the completion of the core game. VII at the time was incredible. I hated VIII and IX, but enjoyed XII but feel that Persona 4 is better still.
Eviltoastman
Part-time Demi-Mod

Post by Eviltoastman »

For those with a Wii and knowing there are only two games for the Wii (okay, maybe three) this is quite welcome:

Tatsunoko Vs Capcom Ultimate All Stars

Zavvi have a good deal on it right now.
Mr John
not very out-and-about-y

Post by Mr John »

Eviltoastman wrote:If you forgot to retrieve something in VII, you could always go back and retrieve it. the game had no fatal exceptions which would allow this.
It was more the choice of doing so and the lack of save points on my part. From memory I had tried the mission twice and hated it. 'Twas irrespective of necessity, I play games for entertainment.
:borg:
"Bof."
touchy feely
cute as a crackbaby

Post by touchy feely »

Mr John wrote:
Eviltoastman wrote:If you forgot to retrieve something in VII, you could always go back and retrieve it. the game had no fatal exceptions which would allow this.
It was more the choice of doing so and the lack of save points on my part. From memory I had tried the mission twice and hated it. 'Twas irrespective of necessity, I play games for entertainment.
:borg:
you mean you dont play for 45 minute cut scenes, a convoluted plot written in fingerpaint by a 4 year old, and stilted dialogue that makes you long for the matrix trilogy?
Mr John
not very out-and-about-y

Post by Mr John »

I know.
I'm a sick bastard.
"Bof."
Eviltoastman
Part-time Demi-Mod

Post by Eviltoastman »

What remarkable world in which you live where a typical toddler can be expected to be capable of narative convolution via the medium of fingerpaint! What next, your dog can do a fucking rubic's cube?

The dialogue wasn't smooth, nor was it stilted. The plot was "hollywood simple", not so much convoluted, but typical of a Ford-Kurosawa vein only with the usual intertwining of various character subplots that are quite commonplace in modern narrative development and it diodn't try to be too clever about that either. It's didn't try the usual cheap tricks of predictable and grubby little plot twists (oldboy, seven, the departed) as an artifice to furthering the first play reception. as many films and video game now do, rendering a second play worthless.

Final Fantasy VII only suffered through a lack of immediacy a byproduct of which was emotional attachment for the charcters. The game was not just big and expansive like Fallout 3, GTA IV, but had a depth that Fallout and other modern RPG's lack (see Mass Effect, Fallout, Oblivion...).
Mr John
not very out-and-about-y

Post by Mr John »

I think what Toast is saying, is that we westerners lose some of the nuances of the narrative, post-translation.

"Bof."
The Rambam
a lustrous shine
Favorite Books: Foucault's Pendulum - Umberto Eco
The Dune Chronicles - Frank Herbert
Favorite Films: The Shawshank Redemption
The Godfather (Parts 1 & 2)
The Big Lebowski
Brazil
Unforgiven
Conspiracy
Favorite TV: The Wire
Deadwood
Rome
30 Rock
Batman: The Brave and the Bold
Justice League/Justice League Unlimited
Invader ZIM

Post by The Rambam »

Eviltoastman wrote:GTA IV
I'm thinking of getting the PC version of this this weekend. Now that I have an Alienware laptop, I've been really into PC gaming.
"Well, they finally did it: They killed my fucking car."